Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryjanej_gw

Can you please identify this rugosa

maryjanej
18 years ago

Hi,

Does anyone know what kind of rugosa this is?

The seeds are for sale on Ebay. They only specify Rugosa Rose double red.

Thanks

Mary-Jane

Comments (11)

• Krista_5NY
    18 years ago

How about Roserie De L'Hay?

Here is a link that might be useful: Roserie de L'Hay

• madspinner
    18 years ago

Of course, it won't matter much really, as the seeds could be completely diffrent than that plant.

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Could be Hansa. Madspinner is right, depending on what else is around the parent, the offspring could be different from what is pictured.

• maryjanej
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for helping me out. I posted the picture on another forum and they seem to think it's a Hansa also. If it does turn out different it should still be close to the looks and colour right?
    Thanks
    Mary-Jane

• patriciae_gw
    18 years ago

It could be unrecognizable as a Rugosa depending on what gene mix it got-and a completely different color..but most likely it would be some premutation of Hansa. If you like Hansa why not just get it instead...also are the seeds treated so they will actually sprout? Remember you are a long way from a rose bush with seeds.

patricia

• maryjanej
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Patricia,
    When you asked about the seeds being treated. Do you mean the cold stratification? I beleive I read that you have to put them in the fridge for about 3 months keep on checking on them after 4 weeks for germination. You're probably right it would probably be better to just buy a plant and take cuttings to get more.
    Thanks
    Mary-Jane

• madspinner
    18 years ago

or suckers... Rugosas usually sucker quite a bit and that is a really great way to get new plants.

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

I have grown some rugosas from seed and been pleased with the results: Rugosa alba, which came true from seed, and a seedling of Therese Bugnet, a rugosa hybrid. The seeds of the R. alba must have been the result of the neighboring R. albas crossing with each other, as all six seedlings were R. alba. The seedling of Therese Bugnet actually resembles its parent quite a lot. I agree that if you want Hansa just getting a clone is a good idea, but the seedlings may turn out to be very good plants too.

• maryjanej
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Alicia7b,
    How did you start your rugosa seeds.And how long did it take them to get to a fair size?
    Thanks
    Mary-Jane

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

I removed the seeds from the hips, put them in a ziploc sandwhich bag with moist potting mix, and let that sit in the fridge for three months. Then I spread the mix on top of a quart of potting mix and put outside. I usually time the process so I'm taking them out of the fridge in April or May, but later would be fine too. The rugosa seedlings for the most part have been more vigorous than my rose seedlings; in their first year they grew to 1-2' and as wide. One of my two-year-old Rugosa alba seedlings is now more than 3 x 3'.

• maryjanej
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi alicia7b,
    Thank you so much for the information. I'm glad too hear that they grow that quick.I'm gonna try some of them.
    Thank you so much for your help:)
    Thanks
    Mary-Jane

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21