Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronn_bonites

Miniature Floribunda or Polyantha?

Ronn Bonites
11 years ago

Can anyone help me classify this rose? I was told that it's a petite mini but I want to know for sure.

Forgive me for the sideways photo.

Comments (8)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Do you know the name of the rose? It looks like a miniature but it's hard to say for sure from the photo. I would say it's definitely not a polyantha. Polys generally bloom with small flowers in larger clusters not singly like that is blooming. If the blooms are around 2 inches or less in size with correspondingly small leaves it's probably a mini. If the blooms are larger, like around 3 inches or more with correspondingly larger leaves it would be a floribunda or hybrid tea. Remember that miniature rose plants can get to be as large in plant size as a floribunda but the leaves and blooms will remain smaller in scale.

• intris
    11 years ago

Looks like a mini to me, but then again, I've heard some talk of "mini-floribundas" before so I believe that the mini category isn't as solidified as one would like.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it's Mistral Parade or Debbie. It wasn't labeled when I bought it so I don't know the name. It is only at least 1/3 of the height of my Hybrid Tea. I was just wondering if there were really such a thing as mini floribundas.

And also, upon closer examination of the rose, it looks like there might actually be two different yellow rose plants in there. They have closely similar traits like the leaves and the yellow flowers, but the one in the middle is cluster-flowering, while the one with the flower at the bottom isn't and the cluster flowering one produces bi-color yellow buds and flowers that are deep yellow at the center and white at the edges which finally mature to off-white, while the non-cluster-flowering one has solid yellow buds and open to white-tipped yellow petals and finally mature to a lighter butter-yellow. Could it be that this rose is undergoing a reversion in the non-cluster-flowering one? Or is the cluster-flowering one a sport?

Here's a clearer picture with more open flowers by the way. Note the mature fading blooms at the top and the bottom right.

This post was edited by Resolute_Noir on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 5:41

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the pciture.

This post was edited by Resolute_Noir on Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 6:18

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And an even closer one.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've identified this rose as Rise 'n' Shine before, but I think it is closer to Atkin's Beauty. Anyone know a big difference between the two?

Here is a link that might be useful: Atkin's Beauty

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

It actually looks very much like my Rise n Shine and that's much more likely since Atkins Beauty doesn't appear to be in commerce much.

Intris, they are called "minifloras" and they are slightly larger in size than minis but much smaller than floribundas. It is a newer class that was created mostly for exhibiting.

• Ronn Bonites
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was told that Center Gold/Atkin's Beauty had more petals than Rise 'n' Shine. I'm gonna count the petals on the next blooms to be sure.

If this is Rise 'n' Shine though, I'd be happy since it's a good seed parent. Then again, Atkin's Beauty is known for decorative hips, so that's a plus too.