Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpleahy_gw

Husband bought rose for $1.00. What did we get??

kpleahy
15 years ago

My husband bought a rose for a dollar bare root and then randomly planted it knowing nothing bout it. Sooooo ... this rose grew about 8-9 feet the first summer. Had abig flush in Mayish, then bloomed repeatedly all summer. Long canes. Rose starts salmon, turns orangey pinkish and then fades to lighter pink. Anyone know what I have?

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery rose

Comments (17)

• twoozone
    15 years ago

It sorta looks like my Voodoo which grew like all heck the first year. Does it smell?

• michaelg
    14 years ago

Could be Joseph's Coat. Click the photos tab.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF

• kpleahy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still stumped. Not Joseph - - it starts one solid color and then fades to many others. Not Voodoo...not a tea rose. Maybe a floribunda or climber. Smell is sweet fruity. any other guesses...see picture in first post.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Look at Camelot

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

The photo I was commenting on is the last one.

How many roses are you trying to ID?
    Do you have any more photos?
    How accurate is the photo to the color of the rose?

Did he recently buy it & from where?

• kpleahy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope - not Camelot. The pictures (I think there are 3-4 on the link) are all the same bush. The colors are very accurate. I have had it 2 years now. My husband bought it (brace yourself) at the dollar store, threw the tag away and planted it before I knew it. He had very good intentions - thought he would surprise me. Poor thing...

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Some of the roses look 2 toned while others look one.

Tell us at what point while blooming is it like the 4th picture?

I'm wondering if part of the bush is sporting.

Your rose is going to haunt me.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Gonna post a few roses for you to look at, although I doubt they are it. If I have time I'll look at a few catalogs I have.

Heart O' Gold picture & main page

Glowing Peace

Love & Peace

Chicago Peace - Picture

• kpleahy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am sooo thrilled someone has taken on my mystery rose. I honestly thought it was going to be a quick I.d. since I know little about roses (lots about other plants) and figured it must be a common one. thank u to everyone who is "on the case"!

ok...last picture is solid bright color and shows it when it first opens, the others show how, as it ages, it becomes multi pastel colored ... eventually fading to light pink/peach. I have a plan. blooming season is approaching. I am going to take many detailed pictures stage by stage and post. in the meantime ... keep the guesses coming PLEASE!! :O)

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I think I mentioned picasa photo site in one of your posts.

On the color, I'm not seeing the same color you are describing. What I'm seeing is more orange with a gold /mustard color. It reminds me of my Bronze Star.

Would your hubby remember the name if he sees someone suggest it?

I love picasa because everything is easy. For something like this, you'd be able to drag the photos to organize them according to how it blooms. I like picasa better then photobucket, it's more reliable. It's also free

• kpleahy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WHOA! love that bronze star bur not it. the key seems to be that it starts solid coral/salmon color ... yes ...sort of orange. the petals aren't 2toned. thwhole thing then fades to all those pastels. also-what is "sporting"?

I will use photo bucket as I take new photos this season and hopefully we can figure this out. oh- and no ... hubby will not remember name. i'm not sure he even knew roses had names. :o)

• mistergreenjeans
    14 years ago

Looks like it could be Tropicana

• labrea_gw
    14 years ago

Yep a lot like trpoicana which somtimes can be on the pink side and somtimes more orange.

• kpleahy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

looked up tropicana and the colors look really similar! The part that makes me doubt it is that it says it's an HT. I'M pretty sure it isn't a hybrid tea. When I saw the colors I was thinking "bingo" but as I read on hope faded. can a Hybrid tea get 12 feet plus? and can it bloom with multiple heads per stem? and all season after and initial spring flush?

• kathy9norcal
    14 years ago

Exactly like the Voodoo I used to grow. I checked my old pictures.
    Kathy

• petaloid
    14 years ago

"can a Hybrid tea get 12 feet plus? and can it bloom with multiple heads per stem? and all season after and initial spring flush?"

Yes to all of your questions, although with that height it is usually a climbing version of a hybrid tea rose.

• kpleahy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

GREAT! I am going to study up on the tropicana and the voodoo and watch closely this season. I'll update with what I see and post new pics when it blooms. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCh to all of you. Can't wait to see it come to life this spring!

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax