Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeffyrose

Please help identify !!!

zeffyrose
18 years ago

I took a cutting of this rose the day before it was bulldozed and totally destroyed.

I call it "Yardville Supply"because that was the name of the Co.where I found it.

It is very fragrant---once-- bloomer

It is the rose on the right after my DH cut it back so we could walk past.

Someone on the rose Gallery suggested The Bishop" which looks pretty close.

thanks for any suggestions.

Florence

Comments (7)

• patriciae_gw
    18 years ago

Florence, I have been watching your posts on this rose-what a beauty. I Have the Suzanne Verrier book on Gallicas and she gives a really good close up of The Bishop. the flowers are a very good match but the foliage on your plant is broader-it looks different. I have The Bishop but it is a very long way from leafing out let alone blooming. In any case I would be looking at Centifolias or Centifolia Hybrids- (TB is just such a rose) if I were you because of the size and floppiness-Gallicas are usually much shorter and more upright. It should narrow things down considerably since there are not so many Centifolias. I sure hope you identify this. How did you root it? Centifolias are often hard to root.

Patricia

• karen64
    18 years ago

Florence. I'm the last person who could ID roses very well but I had to say what beautiful pictures! I live close to Yardville Supply so I smiled when I saw what you named her! (Robbinsville, NJ) You're pictures make me think of romance novels or secret gardens, how long ago did you rescue that rose from the bulldozer? Its so large! Its not Russeliana, right? Like I said, I'm almost embarrassed to attempt to take a guess outloud, out of my league. I'd have better luck on wheel of furtune. Is your son where Snipes once was? karen

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Patricia---I rooted this under a peanut butter jar----it rooted very easily and seems to love the spot it is in.
    I have another cutting in a shady spot---and it is not happy there.
    Sure wish I could start over and plan my yard rather than just stick things in whereever I find some dirt---LOL
    Plus we have soooooooooo many azaleas.

Karen--don't feel bad---the only rose I can identify is New Dawn---and I mix it up with Dr. Van Fleet.
    I just checked Russelianna----it does resemble YS but mine never had the nearly white bloom.-----

There are so many roses that look like other roses---too confusing for my old brain.

BTW---I grew up very near to Robbinsville---on Gropp's Lake

We are practically neighbors---

Florence

• patriciae_gw
    18 years ago

Florence, I know what you mean about planning...who could guess which ones are going to get so big. I have a found rose that was knee high and twiggy...it is now 10' and arching with huge canes and monster thorns. I have dug through my books and have still not found anything as close as the Bishop. I have I think 65 or so Gallicas and Centifolias. I will look when they do their thing. I would love a cutting or two to compare..I could trade you something. This reminds me so much of a rose I saw at a Peony farm..they did not know or care about their roses.

patricia

• madspinner
    18 years ago

Speaking of that Peony farm, Patricia, we should go back there and try to ask for cuttings this year. Wanna?

zeffyrose_pa6b7- I sure hope you find out what this is... it sure is nice looking.

• zeffyrose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Berndoodle suggested a rose called De LA Grifferaie---and some of the pictures on HMF do look just like my rose --the picture of the whole bush looks especially like mine---Acouple of the pictures don't resemble mine at all.

Florence

• patriciae_gw
    18 years ago

De la Grifferaie has fringed stipules...does yours?

patrcia

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider