Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Intro and rose ID

greenhaven
16 years ago

Hello, folks! I am excited to be a part of the forums here, and hope I will not wear out my welcome with lots of questions! I promise to search for posts before I ask something that has already ben asked a hundred times.

I am excited to be getting into roses this year. I never wanted to because of their fussiness and my propensity towards native plants, but now I am hooked.

Last summer was our first in our new house, and I was bowled over to doscover a gorgeous rose growing under our pine tree! I almost dropped a load of yard clippings on it! This house sat empty for three years, so this is obviously a very tough rose. It is also in quite a bit of shade, and I am thinking about moving it this Spring.

The bush was fairly small, (probably from being shaded)about 3x3. The canes were fairly thin anf loppy, but it never lay on the ground. The bloom size was 2-3", and super-fragrant!! Heavenly! The blooms did not last long. It bloomed mostly early Summer, with a small repeat-bloom in early Fall. Also, the bloom color is very accurate in these photos, although slightly faded from being ready to drop petals.

So, what do you think?

Image link:

Comments (14)

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Learning a new forum is HARD! But I think I have the photo thing down, now. Take a look:

{{gwi:1215887}}

{{gwi:1215889}}

{{gwi:1215891}}

• catsrose
    16 years ago

I'm not good at IDing roses, but it is an antique rose, possibly a hybrid bourbon or a damask, since it does repeat some. Please don't try to move it until you have better advice. Some roses do okay in some shade. You might try IDing it on helpmefind.com/roses. You can also go to vintagegardens.com and read their descriptions for the different classes of roses.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, catsrose...I am fairly certain it is a bourbon of some sort. But just wehn I think I am sure, I am not so sure, lol! Unfortunately, the previous owners of this place didn't put a lot of forethought into their plantings and most are very inconveniently located. The rose is among several things that will have to be moved to better spots.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Of course, my zone is completely different, but in very different conditions, could this be a neglected 'Rose de Rescht'??

If it is, the blooms would be fairly small -- only perhaps 1.5 to 2 ins dia.

Jeri

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, the blooms and from what I can see of your leaves look very, very similiar! If your bloom color is accurate in the photo it is not quite the same. But with some TLC and sun, who knows? I think my blooms were no more than 2". I will Google some more photos of 'Rose de Rescht' and have a look-see! Thanks for the major lead!

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ding!Ding!Ding! I think we have a winner! Thank you, and KUDOS to Jeri for what appears to be a positive ID for a Portland Damask 'Rose de Rescht.'

How amazing! I never thought I would know what this one was! I used the link below to provide affirmation:

Here is a link that might be useful: damasks at Orion Farms

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Greenhaven -- That may not get you too close.
    Rose de Rescht herself is a Found Rose of unknown ancestry, so who knows who its relatives are.

Remember that I am in Southern California, so my conditions are very different. And that Rose de Rescht doesn't hold that intense color long.
    You do have a good rose, whether you end up knowning what it is -- or not.
    CONGRATULATIONS.

Jeri

• catsrose
    16 years ago

Jeri's very good at IDs--and everything else. I'd wait to move him until late fall, when he goes dormant. Can you give him more light--prune the pine tree a bit or even tie the branches back/away for the summer. Feed him (organics) and generally boost him up a bit before moving him. Does he sucker? Portlands generally do, which is another reason not to move him until fall.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jeri said "Rose de Rescht herself is a Found Rose of unknown ancestry, so who knows who its relatives are. "

That would explain the differences among named 'Rose de Rescht' even on the same farm. Very interesting. I can see I am going to learn a lot at this site!

Catsrose said: "Can you give him more light--prune the pine tree a bit or even tie the branches back/away for the summer. Feed him (organics) and generally boost him up a bit before moving him. Does he sucker? "

The canopy of the pine is already fairly high due to low-branch dieback. It gets more sun than one might think, being under a tree, but it's definitely not optimal. Maybe the absolute minimum hours or a smidge less. Something to pay attention to this year.

Does he sucker? Unfortunately, I am not sure. Frankly, I am not sure of all the canes die back and new ones grow each year. It was just about to bloom when I discovered it. And I am unable to ID a "sucker" on a rose plant. (Pretty new, in case it's not glaringly obvious!)My Zephies I planted last year grew lots and lots of canes, and I was told some are probably suckers. But I don't know one from the other. Any tips?

What I do know is that the plant itself did not get very large, maybe 3'h and 2-3'w. That might be sun and winterkill conditions.

You all rock, thanks for your help!

• catsrose
    16 years ago

Rose de Rescht doesn't get very big. About 4' tops and 30" wide. Look it up on helpmefind.com/roses. So it won't turn into a great big bush even if you do move it. Nor will it flower all summer. It will repeat, but it won't be a continuously blooming rose.

Suckering--on roses--is roots that turn into shoots, similiar to grass, lirope, daylilies. There are two kinds on roses (natural, as in gallicas, portlands, some species) and grafts, which come the rootstock onto which another rose has been grafted (usualy this is with more modern roses, hybrid teas, etc).

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Catsrose said: "Suckering--on roses--is roots that turn into shoots, similiar to grass, lirope, daylilies. There are two kinds on roses: natural, (as in gallicas, portlands, some species) and grafts, which come the rootstock onto which another rose has been grafted (usualy this is with more modern roses, hybrid teas, etc). "

So on my Zephies, anything that sprouts above the graft union is a cane, and suckers pop up sort fo beside the original plant? Gosh, I am a newb...if you have a website with a good visual that would be fabulous. I am a very visual learner...

• collinw
    15 years ago

My Rose de Rescht has a very distinct blue cast to the leaves in comparison to the rest of the roses that I grow...but I only grow a couple of portland roses... and it is the last rose to leaf out in the Spring.Also, the blooms are very close to the first set of leaves. I would agree that the bloom looks like Rose de Rescht. What a great find.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks collin, isn't it cool? I am so nervous about moving it, but it just doesn't belong where it is now. On the other hand I just can't bring myself to even root-prune it a little.

Maybe this year I will try to take some cuttings from it before I start trying to move it. If I had successful cuttings I would feel better about moving it and risking losing the plant.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!