Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelsmell_gw

I think it's Arizona? Surpise Rose

angelsmell
19 years ago

Yesterday I bought a rose at HD labeled Surprise Floribunda, I thought that was the name but I couldn't find a rose that looked like that named Surprise. Here is the picture.... not open all the way, I was wondering if it might be Arizona? OR is there a rose that looks like this named surprise?

{{gwi:1216252}}

Comments (37)

• cecilia_md7a
    19 years ago

Helpmefind.com lists three roses named Surprise (plus a Ralph Moore mini named Surprise Surprise), but none of the descriptions fit your rose. There is, however, a floribunda named Surprise Party. Check out the photos below - although the colors in the pics are much brighter than your rose, there is some similarity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Surprise Party

• cecilia_md7a
    19 years ago

Wait a minute, I just found a listing for a rose named "Peach Surprise" that resembles your rose. It's a hybrid tea, though, not a floribunda, and doesn't appear to be widely available. Take a look at the photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach Surprise

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I just found another person that has this rose from HD, she had the same experience as I did, I do think the peach surprise looks a lot like my rose, I saw that. Please look at the new pictures on the rose gallery of the Surprise rose posted for me.
    I guess it's a rose just for HD. It's a real pretty rose.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I want to tell you this rose from HD $5.97 is so beautiful, the colors just burst out of pink orange & yellow. I am so happy with it, the bud is very large too and has a great scent.... here's another picture today.
    {{gwi:1216255}}

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

photo?
    here it is again.
    {{gwi:1216257}}

• cecilia_md7a
    19 years ago

Oops, I realize I added the wrong link to my second post. THIS is Peach Surprise. Sorry about that.

Here is a link that might be useful: The REAL Peach Surprise

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Not sure what this rose is, on helpmefind there is a picture of pure poetry that looks like it ... here it is in full bloom

• vinelover
    19 years ago

Arizona is a grandiflora. I have an Arizona.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The next rose that bloomed is much more peach color.... I would really like to know what rose this really is?
    It smells so sweet!

• kathy9norcal
    19 years ago

Not Pure Poetry, the center is wrong--I think.
    PP

Hope you find the name.
    Kathy

• rosetom
    19 years ago

There is more of a mystery going on here than usual. I saw two tree roses on sale yesterday at Home Depot Landscaping that were labeled as "Surprise Floribunda." The flowers were definitely of floribunda type, and were distinctly yellow with red edges - almost like a tiny version of Gold Medal.

I looked up HelpMeFind, too - and found nothing but a pure yellow listed for a "Surprise" floribunda. The label was not some cheap, typed band or sticker - it was a photo-background, commercially printed card on an elastic string with the words "Surprise Floribunda" in large, artful script.

"Surprise" was not in the literal sense, either. I saw many more varieties labeled the same way with familiar names - "Tropicana Hybrid Tea," "Iceberg Floribunda," etc.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Isn't it wierd.... I would really like to know what rose the Surprise floribunda is? I really love this rose and it has a wonderful sweet scent, my rose is growing like crazy and is getting 3 new canes with new blooms, one of the roses are about to bloom and this one looks from the outside that the color is a little different than the first buds, it looks more yellow, the first set was a definate pink peach blend... I am anxious to see how this bloom looks, did you buy the rose bush? If so can you post some pictures? Did you smell it? I will post a picture of the new bloom when it opens!

• johnreb_va7
    19 years ago

Well, since the rose comes with a professionally-produced photo label, on a string, at Home Depot... ask the Home Depot garden-center Manager who that rose's Supplier is - and then contact that Supplier about its "Surprise Floribunda" rose.

I might be wrong, but the photo-label you described sounds like the ones I've seen supplied by Weeks Roses for Home Depot. It has a "Rose Planting Guide" (with instructions) on the label's back side. That label is 2&1/2 inches wide by 4-inches long.

But if it's 2" wide by 4&3/8 long, it's from DeWars Roses - and DeWars (a.k.a. Scotsman Roses) is a notorious "re-namer" of pre-existing rose-varieties.

I sure hope Surprise Floribunda turns out to be supplied by Weeks and not by DeWars/Scotsman.

JohnReb
    JohnReb

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

JohnReb: I still have the label of my Surprise Floribunda rose and it is 2 1/2 by 4 in size. So it must be distributed by Weeks roses. So now what? I got a phone # from my home depot where they purchase their roses and I spoke to them about the surprise rose but they couldn't give me any information. I don't think the girl I spoke to knew. The place I called was located in Norco, Ca. I should call them again and see if someone else has the answer. If you can find out that would be wonderful, My Surprise rose is blooming again, it is a very pretty rose.
    It has pink edges and is yellow right now then it turns pink and then turns peach.... it changes color 3 times.
    I will post a new picture when it opens out more.

• johnreb_va7
    19 years ago

Before I saw your Monday post (above), I had checked at another nursery on Saturday for your info. I was told that the 2&1/2 x 4-inch label (the "generic" one with the rose-ID but no grower's name on it) is also put on Star Roses. So, check with both Weeks and Star.

I also checked three local Home Depots. No "Surprise Floribunda" at any of them ...so far. (I say "so far" because unlike in the past 4 years our Richmond-area Home Depots have displayed no Weeks or Star Roses yet in 2005 - so I can only hope they'll arrive in the next week or two.)

Is there any way you could scan that label (front and back, with its photo) and post it for us?

I look forward to seeing your new pictures of the rose. : )

Regards,
    JohnReb

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Maybe tomorrow I can ask my system Admin to do it, my scanner is packed away..... that was a waste of money.
    Anyway.. it's so nice of you to do this thorough investigating! I am very curious if this is a rose the rose wholesales bred or if it's a disguised name of a patent rose they can't reveal? Thanks John

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Today I went to Stater Bros. (a grocery store) and they were selling roses they had a tree Surprise rose it was the same rose that I already have. Here is a picture of the latest bloom, this rose is just beautiful, if you see one get it... it's bright color and beautiful scent make it a real winner!

Surprise rose
    {{gwi:1216260}}

• geminidream
    18 years ago

Today while I was out looking for a nice, healthy New Dawn I found your Surprise floribunda (same size tag). And it was $7.97...everything costs more in WA. (land of outrageous taxes) In my area however, it was at our Lowes not HD.

This tag picture has three buds on it, all pale apricot but the back description reads 'Medium-pink blooms, strong fragrance.' Of the three specimens they had, all three had washed-out pastel buds in shades of pinky apricot and none had the dramatic edging your photos show. However, I've noticed most all the roses for sale here this spring (in bloom)the colors are washed-out. I'm guessing the supplier for this area must have had the same cool, wet spring we've had and it has affected color.

So...your post enabled me and I bought a Surprise because I am a sucker for peaches and oranges lately. All the rest of my shopping trip was a pleasure because it perfumed my car beautifully. Can't wait to see it mature in the garden!
    Molly (plus I found my New Dawn...HD!)

ps-it doesn't look like my Arizona did last year

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GeminiDream.... I love this rose! It always has roses on it... they are pretty and smell great.
    Good choice... you will love it too!

• Joyce
    18 years ago

This is a photo of my first Arisona bloom...yup, this has the little metal tag on it that is embossed 'Arizona'.

The bloom is HUGE, in this shot over 4" wide already, not fully open.

• geminidream
    18 years ago

Angelsmell, I'm so glad to see this active again. My non-metal tag Arizona is blooming now and doesn't look anything like Joyce's photo. The blooms are 4" wide fully open and are a wonderful blend of pinks, corals...very sunset-y looking but subltle in their shading. The way my Surprise blooms aged made me think maybe it might be Desert Peace.

Since my plant is so young yet, the blooms are single on the stems so if it ages out to be a real floribunda then that'd definitely rule out Desert Peace. Whatever it is, I hope it thrives. I'm glad it looks nothing like the tag photo.

Molly, wishing a digital camera fairy would come visit

Here is a link that might be useful: helpmefind

• geminidream
    18 years ago

I should have said my NON Arizona...since it has the same tones but not the same petal edging as real Arizona's. I promise to only buy metal-tagged roses now unless there is more Gallery enabling going on than I can resist.

Whatever Surprise really is, I'm glad to have it. Thank you AngelSmell!
    Molly

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Geminidream:
    Desert Peace Rose does look almost exactly like the
    Surprise rose however my rose is a Floribunda......
    I think the name is really Surprise.
    I have purchase a couple more of them labeled at Wal-Mart
    as Granada and Pristine.
    I bought one for my sister and my friend.... they are really pretty and have a real sweet scent.
    Whatever it is I really like it.

• kshradar
    18 years ago

I got a rose at Home Depot a few weeks ago that looks like yours and it is Granada, a hybrid tea and it smells wonderful.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kshradar, post a picture of you Granada.....
    I am anxious to see it!

• kshradar
    18 years ago

I tried to in the last post but it didn't work. I'll try again. I signed up with photobucket so I'll give it another shot.
    {{gwi:1216265}}
    {{gwi:1216268}}

• rosyjennifer
    18 years ago

How did I miss this post?! So sorry for what I think is a double post...

I just posted a picture of my mystery rose and it may be your rose, but I'm not sure... My thread is yellow, orange pink rose.

Does your rose change colors in the sun? On cloudy days mine stays orangey. On sunny days the rose gets hot pink and the then the edges get burnt looking.

It is a lovely rose, but I am going to move it next spring so it only gets 1/2 day sun.

• Joyce
    18 years ago

Here is the same bud that I posted above, today (2 days later) at noon...tagged Arizona:

Nice fragrance, not too strong. HUGE blossom, about 5" wide!

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Joyce, in my opion, that IS Arizona.

I too have a mystery-rose that "looks like Arizona" - but isn't. It was supposed to be Arizona ... the paper label said so. ;-) So, the following year I bought two more papel-label Arizona barerrots. Neither of them was Arizona. The year after that, in utter frustration, I bought two METAL ID-TAGGED Arizona potted roses. Yours looks just like their blooms do. So I'm pretty certain you've got the real thing.

By the way, I no longer have enough trust left in me to buy paper-label bareroots, no matter how cheaply they're priced.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• rosyjennifer
    18 years ago

Thanks Joyce! I'm not the original poster, but I'm pretty sure my mystery rose (thread titled yellow, orange pink rose) is Arizona. Your pics look just like it. Many pics on Helpmefind look like it, but some don't. It is supposed to have 30 petals, I'll check tomorrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona at HMF

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My Surprise rose and my Arizona rose turns dark pink towards the end of it blooming period. I purchase 2 Arizona roses and frankly they arent' as nice as my Surprise rose is. They are smaller buds, and just arent' as stunning as the Surprise rose. It also has mildew and seems to be struggling. It smells very nice but to me the Surprise rose is far surperior. I found this wonderful looking rose at Wal-Mart (I know what your thinking) but I was just taken back by it's beauty & scent, here is a picture of it when I got it.

Labeled Granada?

full bush
    {{gwi:1216277}}

Now it has totally changed in it's second set of blooming.
    It now looks exactly like my Surprise rose.....
    the white that it had changed to yellow, peach & pink.....
    It has a lot of petals. I thought I had some really cool english rose and now it's another rose just like Surpirse.
    IT seems when they are first delivered from the greenhouse they came from they are different from one they get into the real outdoors. What do you think?

Here is a picture today of the new Granada Labeled rose that looks like surprise
    {{gwi:1216282}}

Here is 2 roses from the same bush that didn't turn pink because I brought them in the house. By the was these are from the same bush as above that was more white.

{{gwi:1216285}}

Here is a picture of the old Surprise rose.

So to me they are all the same rose..... Surprise....
    they all smell the same and they both change colors every day. It constantly changes.???????

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This rose was just posted in the Gallery,
    name... Party Time..... it looks just like my Surprise rose.... do you think it's the same?

• geminidream
    18 years ago

Wherever this Surprise rose originated, it really is lovely. My latest bud really looks like the photos you've posted here and has a great scent even in this cool weather we've had. Can't wait to smell it when it is warmer. As for my non-Arizona, I am going to recant on that and identify it as Arizona. Even though it doesn't have a metal tag, it was only a year old last year and maybe just didn't have enough root structure to product the proper blooms. After blooming a few weeks in the cool-ish weather we had a couple of warm days and the blooms turned into copies of the HMF photos, whew! I still don't get pretty buds but that may be more a site and soil issue than anything.

Molly

• geminidream
    18 years ago

Angelsmell, are you still out there reading? There was a post over on the main Roses forum that made me check out your photos again. Someone mentioned a very fragrant, multicolored rose called Fragrant Surprise. After comparing your pictures it makes me wonder if this might be the same rose. When the roses are full-blown they are supposed to be cupped and that one photo of yours sort of looked that way.

Anyway this rose is being sold this year too with the same tag. Mine limped through the winter poorly but I am babying it and hope it bounces back. But just in case, I bought another Surprise and if I'm lucky I'll end up with two healthy bushes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes I'm still around.... I think my rose is the Surprise rose.... I just love it... one of my favorites.

• sweetmichelia
    14 years ago

Here is the same rose today, 5 yrs later, still don't know the name of this rose? I love it wish I had more bushes.

• mxkaren
    13 years ago

Several years ago, I also bought a "Surprise" rose from HD that had a paper tag. When it bloomed, it looked nothing like the picture on the tag. Now I have an "Arizona" and see that these two are very similar, and I'm wondering if anyone has learned the true identity of the Home Depot "Surprise"? I also have a third untagged bush, over 20 years old, that came from an old garden in Fresno, and I'm thinking it is another "Arizona". All three bushes have very similar blossoms, but also they change from day to day. Would love to know for sure what I have!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County