Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to move a rose bush

Posted by sillygoosie z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 20:06

Hi all,

We have a big rose bush which we want to move to another part of our yard. What would be the best time to do this ? Also do I need to, in anyway, prepare the soil where I intend to move it. I am attaching a picture(not a very good one, I'm sorry) to give you a sense of how big the plant is. All and any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Image link: Best time to move a rose bush (6 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to move a rose bush

Hello sillygoosie, what kind of rose bush is that? See the link on how to transplant a mature rose bush. You can use the search feature to learn about soil amendments. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ashdown Rose Care Videos

o

Hi generator_00, thanks for the link. I have no idea what kind of rose bush it is. It came along with the house and even the previous owners didn't have its name.

o

Is it a once blooming rose?

o

No, it blooms two times. Once in early spring and then again in late summer. I have seen a lot of such bushes in our area.

o

We are getting close to pruning time in NJ (you want to prune when the forsythia blooms), so that would also be a good time to move your plant. Dig your new hole first, make sure that it is deep and wide enough. Prune your rose to make it easier to move. Water your rose. When you dig up your rose, try to get as much of the root ball as possible. If you can, leave as much soil on the roots as possible. Put your plant in its new home, backfill with soil and water it in well.

I'm not one for preparing the hole, I would have put down manure and compost over the entire area last fall, but that's water under the bridge now.

The photo is small, so I can't really tell, it kinda looks like a Knock Out. Can you describe the blooms? Color, number of petals, fragrance?

o

You're getting good advice, but, just so you know, this is the forum for people trying to find the variety name of unknown roses.

More people will read your question and give input on our regular Roses Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Forum

o

Hi diane_nj, thanks for the advice. The blooms are dark red in color, 10-12 petals per flower, mild sweet fragrance. I'll try and post a better picture when it blooms later this year.

Hi petaloid, I came to this forum originally to ask if anyone could identify the rose bush, but got kinda sidetracked when I decided to move it, so instead of going to the Roses Forum, I posted my question here by mistake. Thanks for pointing it out though.
I'll post this query on the Roses forum too. I'm sure I'll get more responses, though the advice I got uptil now is pretty good.

Thanks everybody.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here