Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropical_philippines

What is this drop dead gorgeous red rose?

Bud:

{{gwi:242883}}

Fully open flower:

{{gwi:242885}}

Flowers in a vase:

{{gwi:242887}}

I have been wanting to I. D. this dark red rose but had no idea on its growth habit. Having successfully grown it from a cut flower 7 months ago, I can say the following characterstics of this rose:

- Flowers are dark red or deep red, with thick petal substance; flowers take about 2 or more days to fully open from a mature bud (longer than most hybrid tea roses); flowers last about a week on the vase. Flowers have a slight sweet, tea like scent (most noticeable in a boquet).

Color retention is very good (deep red color that lasts for several days). Fully open flower form and bud form is as shown in the photos. Form retention is very good - it retains the fully open form shown in the photos above for several days. This rose holds on to its petals very well for several days; Petals don't easily drop even under daily rains in our climate. (Petal edges do sometimes turn almost black in our hot tropical climate.)

Strong flower stalk - does not bow down; remains firm and upright even with the daily monsoon rains in our climate.

Flower size - about 4" in my 7-month old 'cut flower' propagated plant (it could get bigger); Petal count about 30 in my young plant (it could have more when my plant is bigger).

Stems - very few thorns or none at all at the upper flower stalks/stems. Some small thorns (still few compared to most roses) near the base of the plant

I hope the information here helps in the I.D. It is such a frustration for me when all rose cut flower sellers here could only tell me it is a dark red 'American' Rose.

In this part of the world, roses have this simple naming system: Rose color + American Rose or Holland Rose or Mini Rose or Local Rose. American roses are the automatic name of hybrid teas with medium to large sized flowers while 'Holland' rose is the automatic name of hybrid teas with large to very large sized flowers. Local rose is the name of the rose when it is endemic to the country while mini rose is the name when the blooms are smaller than 'American' Rose.

tropical

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor