Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this drop dead gorgeous red rose?

Posted by tropical_philippines (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 1, 09 at 21:27

Bud:

Fully open flower:

Flowers in a vase:

I have been wanting to I. D. this dark red rose but had no idea on its growth habit. Having successfully grown it from a cut flower 7 months ago, I can say the following characterstics of this rose:

- Flowers are dark red or deep red, with thick petal substance; flowers take about 2 or more days to fully open from a mature bud (longer than most hybrid tea roses); flowers last about a week on the vase. Flowers have a slight sweet, tea like scent (most noticeable in a boquet).

Color retention is very good (deep red color that lasts for several days). Fully open flower form and bud form is as shown in the photos. Form retention is very good - it retains the fully open form shown in the photos above for several days. This rose holds on to its petals very well for several days; Petals don't easily drop even under daily rains in our climate. (Petal edges do sometimes turn almost black in our hot tropical climate.)

Strong flower stalk - does not bow down; remains firm and upright even with the daily monsoon rains in our climate.

Flower size - about 4" in my 7-month old 'cut flower' propagated plant (it could get bigger); Petal count about 30 in my young plant (it could have more when my plant is bigger).

Stems - very few thorns or none at all at the upper flower stalks/stems. Some small thorns (still few compared to most roses) near the base of the plant

I hope the information here helps in the I.D. It is such a frustration for me when all rose cut flower sellers here could only tell me it is a dark red 'American' Rose.
In this part of the world, roses have this simple naming system: Rose color + American Rose or Holland Rose or Mini Rose or Local Rose. American roses are the automatic name of hybrid teas with medium to large sized flowers while 'Holland' rose is the automatic name of hybrid teas with large to very large sized flowers. Local rose is the name of the rose when it is endemic to the country while mini rose is the name when the blooms are smaller than 'American' Rose.

tropical

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this drop dead gorgeous red rose?

Just an additional description of this rose which I forgot to mention in my earlier post:

Flowers are borne on long stems (about 12" or longer for my 7-month old 'cutflower propagated' plant). Only single flowers per stem. The 'bush' seems to behave well - definitely not a rambler or climber type of rose. Reasonably well behaved grower that remains upright with sturdy canes and strong flower stems that don't spread wide.
(This is as far as I can see from the 7-month old plant.)

Also, I'd like to add that the flower color may look different on your individual computer monitors as few of us ever calibrate our monitors. Anyway, it is not the usual, 'normal' or 'regular' red color. The rose is really 'dark red' under normal lighting conditions. It can get really very deep luscious red in dim indoor lighting conditions. Under bright noon sun, this rose will still look darker than most regular red roses.

tropical

o

Maybe 'Deep Secret' or 'Crimson Glory'?

o

Possibly Ingrid Bergman?

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 21:39

You say it's from a "cut flower." Does that mean you got it from a florist? If that's the case, then it could be any number of roses. There are so many red florist roses. You might look at this website to see if anything looks close. Look under the Flower Type search drop-down for Roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: WFFSA

o

A few years ago I ran across a picture on the internet of a rose called 'Uncle Joe'.I saved it for future reference because I thought it was pretty. It looked like it had kind of the same shape as yours.

Beth are those your pics of it on HMF? You could judge better seeing it in person, do you think it is similar?
Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Uncle Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here