Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Short Red Rose

Posted by SFV4Life 10b/20 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 22:44

I'd like to know what this red rose is. I have 3 or 4 bushes of them. They never grow to be more than 2-3 feet high, even in very wet years.
This is a delightfully fragrant rose, too. It looks like the Mr. Lincoln in my back yard except that it stays short.
The color is really closer to the rose on the right than the rather vermilionish one in the center. Looks great in the photo, but it's not really that color.
Thanks,
Sylvia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Short Red Rose

More of the Mystery Red. Remember, it's only a foot or so off the ground right now.

o

I thought these were all the same variety, but it doesn't look like it in this photo. Dr. Huey? Again, it stays quite short.

o

Here's the Red Mystery again, with one of its very Mister Lincoln-like buds.
I wish I knew its name.

o

I don't know, but think you can exclude 'Dr. Huey', which has a semi-climbing habit. Does this rose rebloom? What is the fragrance like: deep old rose ("Damask" fragrance), or mild and sweet, or something else?
Melissa

o

Melissa, I was dreading the "rebloom" question. These roses were neglected for so long, I honestly don't know. I know they have not rebloomed, or hardly at all, in recent years, but then they were unpruned, diseased, etc. I suppose I'll have to wait and see.
As far as fragrance goes, I'm no authority. I think "mild and sweet" is a better descriptor but it depends on the condition of my sinuses at any given point in the day! :)
It's their short height that intrigues me.
Thanks,
Sylvia

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 15:54

It might be one of the ground cover roses like Flower Carpet or Drift. I don't know anything else that would have that low growth habit. It looks like it has too many petals for DH and usually DH is a deeper red, not so bright. Besides, DH always wants to be TALL!

o

Thanks, all. Seil, I'm no longer so sure about the low growth habit. One of these is throwing up a cane that looks to be about 3 1/2 feet high - never happened before.
I should probably wait, and see what and how it does over the entire season before trying to fully ID it. Think I need more information.
I'll look into the ground covers. They do get 12-18" tall, I think?
Thanks again,
Sylvia

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 16:03

Sylvia, I have an Appleblossom Flower Carpet rose that can throw canes straight up to at least 3 feet or more. It doesn't do it all the time but it can.

o

Sylvia - approx. how old are these bushes? What part of the US are you in? Does it bloom in clusters or one-per-stem? How many petals and how big do the blooms get?

It could be Black Cherry, a floribunda released by J&P a few years ago. A floribunda should be taller than 12inches, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here