Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink and Red Roses on Same Plant

Posted by Julias23 none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 0:27

I had a rose bush in my yard when I moved in 4 years ago but it's only ever produced large red roses. This year, it is producing it's usual large red roses- maybe a bit bigger than normal, plus it has 10 or so clusters of between 5 and 10 smaller pink roses. Is this normal/ what kind of plant is this? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink and Red Roses on Same Plant

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 20:01

A picture would certainly help but it sounds like you have what is called a sport. A sport is a naturally occurring genetic mutation. For what ever reason, while the plant is growing the genes get mixed up differently and a different flower appears. It can be a different color, shape or size bloom. If a cutting from that section is rooted and grown and the blooms continue to be different from the mother plant it's called a stable sport. There are many examples of stable sports that are in commerce today. Many "climbing" forms of hybrid teas are sports of the original bush forms. You will see names that say "white' this or "red" that and often (not always) these are different colored sports of the original rose.

If you'd like you can try and root a cutting and see what happens. Or you can tag that branch and see if it continues to bloom differently.

Enjoy!

o

This is so interesting - thank you for responding! I am far from a gardening expert much less an expert on roses. I was learning about grafting but from what I can tell, if that happened I probably would have seen the separate blooms long before now. I hadn't found the word "sport" yet so will investigate that now. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow if for no other reason than it's a really beautiful plant. Thank you again for taking the time to explain!

o

Could be a sport (mutation). Also could be a sucker from the rootstock. Where does the cane that the pink flowers are on emerge? If they are coming from below ground, then it could be a sucker from a graft. Do the blooms looks like the link below? Then your blooms are the rose Manetti, which is suckering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manetti at helpmefind.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here