Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neroli_gw

Climbing Rose with Giant Thorns???

neroli
16 years ago

I live in Maryland and have recently purchased a beautiful 1920's Cape Cod home for restoration. The yard of this house has been neglected for at least five years and in pruning back the overgrown shrubbery I have discovered all sorts of flowers and garden plants struggling to survive. While removing a feral tree growing on the side of the house I was astonished when I found a long, green vine with huge, wide-spaced thorns. I call it a vine because it is very long, and winds up through the shrubbery and has no tendrils or climbing attachments. I estimate the vine to be about ten feet in length and the thorns to be about an inch to an inch and a half in length. It was such an unusual plant I decided to leave it alone and keep an eye on it. A couple of days ago, with the onset of spring temperatures, I discovered sprouting leaves that to my surprise have every appearance of rose leaves. I would never believe this plant to be a rose because it is just so strange, the most similar plants I have seen to it have been on the African plains. If someone could identify it for me and give advice about its care I would greatly appreciate it. If it buds and flowers I will be very excited and post an update.

Comments (4)