Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing Rose with Giant Thorns???

Posted by neroli 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 1:18

I live in Maryland and have recently purchased a beautiful 1920's Cape Cod home for restoration. The yard of this house has been neglected for at least five years and in pruning back the overgrown shrubbery I have discovered all sorts of flowers and garden plants struggling to survive. While removing a feral tree growing on the side of the house I was astonished when I found a long, green vine with huge, wide-spaced thorns. I call it a vine because it is very long, and winds up through the shrubbery and has no tendrils or climbing attachments. I estimate the vine to be about ten feet in length and the thorns to be about an inch to an inch and a half in length. It was such an unusual plant I decided to leave it alone and keep an eye on it. A couple of days ago, with the onset of spring temperatures, I discovered sprouting leaves that to my surprise have every appearance of rose leaves. I would never believe this plant to be a rose because it is just so strange, the most similar plants I have seen to it have been on the African plains. If someone could identify it for me and give advice about its care I would greatly appreciate it. If it buds and flowers I will be very excited and post an update.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing Rose with Giant Thorns???

you should probably prune back branches and shrubs and things such as that and let it get some light, then treat it like a rose bush and see if it blooms.

o

I wouldn't cut it until after it blooms. Then, take photos of the bloom, leaves and stem. That's the only way we'll have any chance of identifying the plant. I say not to cut it back just in case it is a once blooming rose. Once-bloomers set bud on last year's growth, and if you cut it now, you'll lose this year's blooms. If it blooms more than once during the season, then you can cut it back leter.

o

I don't know of a rose with thorns as long as you describe. I will be interested to see what the blooms look like.

It's good to hear how enthusiastic you are about your new home and I hope you keep us posted on any more treasures you uncover in your yard!

o

does the thorns look like these?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa omeiensis s.pteracanta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here