Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rose with many colors

Posted by dutchessmom 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 07 at 9:16

My mother was telling me the other day that she had heard of a hybid rose bush that can bloom more than one color of rose. Has anyone heard of this? If so what is it and where can we find one?

Thank you,

Steph

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rose with many colors

There are standards, also called "tree", roses that have two different roses grafted onto them, Weeks Roses calls them "Twofers". They are available at some garden centers.

There are many other roses that are bi-colored or multi-colored, but I don't think this is what she means.

o

I was wondering if she meant Joseph's Coat, which starts as a yellow, goes to orange,then red, and later reddish white. At any one time, you will have at least 3 different colored roses on it. It is a climbing rose usually.
Kathy

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 07 at 20:36

Another possibility is the rootstock sending out suckers. You could get 2 completely different roses that way, for a while, until the rootstock took over completely.

o

She could've been talking about a China rose. Many "fade" to darker colors, making it look like there's several different colors on the bush at once. Archduke Charles goes from pink to red. Mutabilis moves from yellow to pink to red. Did she mention what the colors were? Or how large the rose was?

o

Rio Samba and Playboy also change colors dramatically as the blooms age. They start in the orange and yellow family but very often end up a true shade of pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rio Samba images

o

I had a climbing rose that was called Cirue Cirus and as the rose aged it went from light yellow to a very deep rose colour. I have been looking for an other one and been having a very hard time finding a new one.

Hugs janice

o

also, there is seven sisters...that could be what she meant. donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here