Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maybe Lilian Austin?

Posted by kaaryn Nova Scotia (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 07 at 12:29

I'm trying to figure out what a rose bush is. It was growing wild at my parents' old house and I loved it; I'd like to find something similar to plant here.

It grows on a fairly low bush (maybe 3' high) with long almost viney branches - probably it would climb a bit if you put it on lattice. The flowers are pink, about 2" across, quite bushy, and smell sweet - almost fruity.

It's never had winter protection and has always done fine. I don't remember what color the hips or buds are. The leaves aren't very big. It's thorny, but not so much that you have to wear gloves to handle it.

I went to http://www.everyrose.com and found Lilian Austin, this looks a lot like it but I'm not sure. Anyone here who has one of these and can tell me what it smells like?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maybe Lilian Austin?

Or... something else that looks like a good possibility is "Belle Coquette" but I can't find much information on it. (http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=50265)

o
or maybe it's this one...

One more to consider...

MRS. DOREEN PIKE http://www.heirloomroses.com/cgi/browse.cgi?page=item&cat=29&item=77

o

'Lilian Austin' was introduced in the 1970s and 'Belle Coquette' and 'Mrs. Doreen Pike' were introduced in the 1990s. They would be nice to grow if they remind you of your parents' rose bush.

A wild guess is that the original might have been the rosa blanda hybrid 'Betty Bland' which was introduced in the 1920s. It has small fragrant pink double blooms and makes a 6ft bush that survives harsh Canadian winters. Check the description below and click the photos link to see if the pictures match your memory:

Here is a link that might be useful: Betty Bland

o

I think you may have it! :)

And what's more, I remembered the other day that there is a large bush of this rose in a nearby cemetery - so I'm planning a trip there this summer to get some cuttings and to look for baby bushes underneath or nearby.

My mom said she managed to transplant a bit of her bush by getting some of the root, but she never tried to do cuttings.

o

Getting cuttings from the original plant or transplanting pieces with the roots sounds like a fine idea. I wish I had done the same with mystery roses at my grandparents' home -- they are long gone.

Let us know how it goes this summer -- best of luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here