Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whisky Mac or Whiskey Mac??

Posted by lindseylu 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 19, 06 at 12:56

Hello, rose lovers!

Can anyone please tell me what the correct spelling of this rose is: "Whisky Mac" or "Whiskey Mac"? I have seen both versions everywhere. Thank you in advance if you can help clear this up for me!

Lindsey :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whisky Mac or Whiskey Mac??

Interesting question!

We need to find someone with a copy of the Combined Rose List to check on the "official" spelling for you.

As far as the liquor itself is concerned, he general rule is that whiskies from Scotland and Canada are spelled "whisky," while those from Ireland are spelled "whiskey." Whiskies from the United States generally carry the "e" also, but not always. Since the cocktail known as a Whisky Mac uses Scotch, it probably SHOULD be spelled without the "e."

Then again, the rose is German (bred by Tantau), so the original name might be completely different!

o

The 2005 Handbook for Selecting Roses has the spelling as "Whisky Mac".

o

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

Lindsey :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here