Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avid_rosarian

Looks like a miniature hedge -- can you identify?

Avid_rosarian
10 years ago

This tiny beauty looks, from an upright stance, like a very low hedge. Growing in a neighbor's garden, it's about a foot tall and has dense foliage, with tiny buds (smaller than the fingernail on my pinky until they begin to unfurl) and about 1 inch, densely petaled blooms. I had to kneel down to look at it very closely to make sure that it was, in fact, a rose, because I'm unaccustomed to seeing such dense green foliage. There was not even a hint of red in the ample new growth and I couldn't see a single thorn.

As you can see, the roses are shaped like a heavily doubled (or centifolia?) old garden rose but they have no scent and the bush itself has bright, waxy leaves and not the slightest hint of blackspot or mold; in fact, it seems much more vigorous than any miniature rose I've ever seen.

The condos in front of which this was planted were built within the last year, so I presume that this is a new introduction. I'd seriously consider growing this as a hedge if it gets much bigger (so I didn't have to kneel to enjoy it) if anyone can provide an I.D.