Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariano83

ID of White Blend Rose from Argentina

nanito
10 years ago

My name is Mariano Saviello, from Buenos Aires (Argentina). In this occasion I have a white blend rose I would love to identify. It is pretty similar to those from the “Radiance”group, but scentless and very, very thorny.
Some years ago, Bruna Talodini, a retired professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from Italy who is pretty interested in roses and in their history, was trying to find some information on the firm Gaetano Bonfiglioli e figlio, a breeder/nursery who worked in Bologna (the town where he lives in Italy) in XIX-XX century. Among his production there are “Variegata di Bologna”, “Clementina Carbonieri”, “Garisenda” and other lost or almost lost roses. Going through papers at the Camera di Commercio of Bologna he managed to find the story of the firm and, interestingly, he found that it had commercial interests in South America, in particular in Argentina. From 1920 to 1937 Enrico Bonfiglioli and many of his staff went here many times.
So it may well be that, besides a rose from french nurseries, in Argentina there might be also roses from Bonfiglioli, possibly lost roses of this firm. So this could be another research line to take into account, but I am really confused and it has been many years and I still cannot identify it properly.

IDENTIFICATION CARD

PLANT

-Type: Bush (it looks like an Hybrid Perpetual, similar to “Frau Karl Druschki” with Light pink buds and lack of scent, but it flowers does not agree with the white bright white flowers of the "Frau Kart Druschki" seen in the "Help Me Find" web site.

-Size: Up to 6.56”(2.00 mt) tall and 3.28”(1.00 mt) wide.

-Stems: tic, strong, rigid. The new stems have a characteristic redish colouring.

-Habit: Tall and dense bush, very very thorny.

FOLIAGE

-Shape:-

-Color: Dark green, dull (not glossy).

-Size: Big.

FLOWERS

-Features of the bud: Small light pink buds. As the buds open you can see its conic centre Light pink blended that never (or hardly ever) opens completely.

-Diameter: 4.72" x 4.72" (12 cm x 12 cm). No simmetry.

-Flower: Big, no symmetry. Very similar in appearance to varieties like "Red Radiance" or "Pink Radiance", but has no scent.

-How does it bloom?: Solitary and in posies of up to 3-4 flowers.

-How many times does it flower?: Taking into account that the rose grows in a neighboring old garden I do not have the exact information, but it has a really abundant and long lasting blooming in the fall season.

-Number of petals and shape: 36 petals.

-Stamen Yes/ No: It is impossible to apreciate them because the flower never opens completely.
- Color: White blend. Light pink centre.

-Lenght of the flower: High.

-Fragance: None to mild fragrance.

-Resistance: It seems to be a very vigorous and healthy cultivar.

THANKS in advance for your time! Mariano. {{gwi:249598}}White blend rose ID

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CM Hardscapes LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
We always deliver a quality product