Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweezel

Identify Red antique (possibly), tough as nails rose

Staci
16 years ago

My mom is just moved into a house in the late fall in which there are two of these roses. This is in Dallas, TX. The house was built in the mid fifties, but I don't think the roses have been there that long.

They are very healthy with not a sign of insects or disease, even though the neighboring rose has a little black spot. They have had no fertilizer, insecticide or supplemental water either. All of last spring summer and fall the house was empty and they got no love the whole time. Soon after she moved in, right around the first freeze, and they were still nice and full. And these roses only get sun from about noon to about 5:00pm.

They seem to want to be climbers because they are sending up super tall canes. Also, they have no detectable scent.

I took lots of pics so hopefully someone recognizes it.

Here is a bloom with my small hand for size comparison. The blooms are about 2.5 to 3 inches.

Another Bloom

Bud's - slightly furry

Leaves are very textured. Front of leaf

Back of leaves with slight hairs and prickles on the back of the leaf stems.

New Growth Stem with Red Thorns

Terrible picture of the growth habit. This one is squeezed in between to other roses. It was chopped down to about 3.5 feet last fall when my mom moved in, but it has already sent of growth to about 5.5 feet (where they added turquoise mark is).

Base

Comments (4)