Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you ID this lavender rose?

Posted by funnthsun 7B - NC (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 14:01

I have had this rose for years and love, love it. It is a lavender rose with yellow stamens. Never gets very tall, completely disease and black spot resistant. I never have to treat it at all.

Someone working in my yard (construction) cut the rose back to 4-inches from the ground and I just knew that I had lost it, I thought that the hybrid part of it had surely been cut off, but it came back just as it was! Very happy, but I want to get an ID so that if anything happens like that again, I can replace it. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you ID this lavender rose?

I'm adding this pic, just so you can see the size of it. All of this growth has been this spring, but it doesn't ever get more than a few inches taller than this, with trimming just once a year.

o

By the way, the petal count on this little guy is 10. It was suggested that it might be Rhapsody in blue, but the petal count on that one is 15-20. Also, Rhapsody is said to have the occasional white streak in a stray petal and have never seen that on this one. I thought it might be Blueberry Hill, but seems smaller in habit and petal count on Blueberry is 12-14.

Can anyone help on this one?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 10:01

It does look a lot like Rhapsody in Blue. You have to remember that color and petal count can vary with conditions. The only problem is RiB is usually a much larger plant in size than that. Blueberry Hill is a much smaller plant but it's doesn't look the same to me. My other thought was maybe Pink Pavement?

o

Thanks for the response, Seil. Didn't know about the variation in petal count, thanks for that. My thoughts were if they gave a petal count that is so specific, then logic would dictate the plant would most likely follow that. Guess logic doesn't enter in, LOL! I am showing my knowledge about roses, I'm afraid. Not exactly my specialty.

Here is a pic of it today. This is the first day that a petal has dropped from this bloom, so only about 4 days (give or take a day) from full open until first petal drops. You can see, the bloom just gets more and more lavender and loses any hint of pink undertones as it ages.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here