Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robin_d

Mystery Red Climber

robin_d
17 years ago

Do you recognize this rose?

{{gwi:1217558}}

I obtained this roses as a cutting many moons ago, in a trade with another rose junkie (alas, lost the records in a hard drive failure). It was supposed to be a white polyantha and was planted accordingly; imagine my chagrin when it first bloomed bright red, then proceeded to throw out extremely long thorny tentacles in all directions. Much whacking ensued, and it is finally moving to a location where it can be true to its nature - run rampant.

The blooms are, as you see, in good-sized clusters - the individual blooms are 1 1/2" - 2" across. The plant is very vigorous, with sturdy canes, healthy dark green foliage and clusters of cheerful, bright red, medium-sized blooms. The canes tend to grow somewhat horizontally, rather that straight up, and are long - I pruned one off last summer that was dang near 20' long. It's not fragrant, at least not notably as I don't recall any scent. I don't spray, at all, ever, and it will occasionally get some very light powdery mildew and/or blackspot (eastern exposure), which are quickly shrugged off. Once this rose got established, it has been just as healthy and vigorous as I could wish for in my garden. I would love to know its proper name - I call it "Bob". I hope it survives the impending transplant.

Comments (11)

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    17 years ago

Does it bloom all season off and on,or is it once blooming?
    A couple of old red climbers are Paul's Scarlett Climber. This variety blooms only one time a year. It is a cherry red color, and a heavy bloomer. Then someone took that rose and made it everblooming. This variety is called Blaze, or Improved Blaze. How old is the mother plant? Paul's Scarlett
    goes back to the 50'sor60's Blaze a few years later I think.
    I hope this helps.

• robin_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It reblooms. It doesn't look like Blaze to me (a friend grows it). I don't know how old the mother plant is - I lost all the records of the trade so I can't ask.

Thank you for your assistance!

• mikentx
    17 years ago

A couple questions: Does the color show up correctly here and do the bloom clusters remind you of hydrangea?

I ask because those red clusters, the shape of the blooms and the growth habit you describe remind me of a mystery rose here that we finally decided was either Skyrocket or Will Scarlet.

• patricianat
    17 years ago

Robin Hood?

• patricianat
    17 years ago

I just looked at the foliage and wonder if it is Scarlet Meilland.

• newjersey_rose
    17 years ago

That is exactly what I thought Patricia when I looked at the picture.....reminds me of Scarlet Meidiland.
    Michael

• robin_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've been looking at Scarlet Meidiland, and while the blooms are similar, the sprays appear to be more open on Scarlet Meidiland... and then there's the size issue - this monster of mine wants to be a whole lot bigger that the descriptions of Scarlet Meidiland I've just been reading. Is this a situation like so many of the Austins, where they routinely grow much larger than the descriptions? Maybe mine's a Scarlet Meidiland on sterioids? :-)

• robin_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's another photo. It does look quite a bit like 'Scarlet Meidiland', except for those octopus canes...

{{gwi:1217561}}

• jean
    17 years ago

Scarlet Meidiland can be absolutely mammoth. I had a neighbor with one that was probably 10' high and as wide with sprawling arching canes.

Jean

• newjersey_rose
    17 years ago

I have a Scarlet Meidiland over 12' tall and trained up a trellis. Sometimes the descriptions just don't match how they grow in the real world. (ie. see Austin Roses).
    Michael

• robin_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, it looks like one of my "mysteries" may have been solved. Thank you so much!