Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peterk312

Label reads "John F. Kennedy Rose" but Home Depot got it wrong?

peterk312
10 years ago

Home Depot label says this is a John F. Kennedy Rose. They are wrong, yes? Here's the label that indicates the JFK rose is pure white:

Here's the actual rose bush in the container:

It wasn't in the best shape (had advanced leaf rust, but I am treating it now) but was on sale for only $6 so worth a try at saving. You can see that the rose is very light pink (almost white) with a burgundy or cranberry tip to the petals. It has a really nice fragrance, not odd (e.g., fruity, spicey, etc.) but sweet and rosey like you'd expect. Each rose has a lot of petals:

It's appears to be a floribunda type rose:

Anybody know what this variety might be?

Comments (23)

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Indeed, it's very lovely, and I don't really care that it's not the JFK Rose ( I wasn't looking for that variety specifically). I got a great deal, but I'm just curious what the name of this rose is.

The new blooms are actually opening more pink without much of a burgundy tinge. I'll provide another pic soon. So far, the only rose I can find resembling this one is "Gemini," -- a hybrid tea floribunda, but I think the one I have has too many petals to be Gemini.

This post was edited by peterk312 on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 22:16

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some pics of a new rose opening. You can see the tinge on the tips of the petals is more pinkish than burgundy, at least at this stage:

I'm wondering if the label on the container says "Grown by HG, Winters, CA 95694, maybe that's where the actual rose in the container was grown.

This post was edited by peterk312 on Wed, May 1, 13 at 10:21

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Sounds like it.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The shape of the rose suggests it's a hybrid tea. If not Gemini, I'm wondering if it is the commonly found Peace Rose (not Pink Peace). This photo of a Peace Rose from another website looks a lot like what I have

but there isn't a lot of yellow in the petals of my rose, only the inside portion of the inner petals have some yellow. I also don't know if the Peace Rose has blooms like a floribunda.

I tried to count the petals on one of the spent open roses and got at least 50 petals.

This post was edited by peterk312 on Thu, May 2, 13 at 20:07

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I don't think it's Peace. The color is too pink and the form isn't right for Peace. If these are the blooms that were on it from the nursery they may not be the color it will eventually get outside in your garden. You might want to plant it and wait for the next bloom cycle and then repost.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking one strategy might be to go to the website for Hines Growers (in Winters CA), the company that Home Depot may be getting Roses from, given the name of the growing facility is on the label, and see if they offer a rose that looks like what I bought. Their website http://www.hinesgrowers.com/ has a plant search, and the Peace Rose is there.

Do all Peace Rose relatives have more yellow than what I photographed? That last photograph (from a website not my plant) looks awfully close, and there isn't much yellow.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

No not all of Peace's off shoots are yellow. It could be Chicago Peace or Love & Peace or one of the many others.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another possibility is "Falling in Love," a rose that Home Depot also sells and is also available from Hines Growers in Winters CA.

{{gwi:1217643}}

The "Falling in Love" rose bush is a grandiflora, and it's supposed to be very thorny. One of the first things I noticed about the bushes that I have is how thorny each cane is.

• kutekaos
    10 years ago

That almost looks like my Double Delight that I bought from HEB, if that was labeled correctly. That is what I posted a picture of, but my first guess is Kordes Perfecta. She looks more like your rose and she has dark, glossy foliage.

L'Origan

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

I agree the form is wrong for Peace. It is too tight and formal, peace is more loose.

It was grown by Hines Growers Nursery. Unfortunately they don't really list many roses on their website.

Closest thing I can come up with is possibly Crescendo:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Crescendo%E2%84%A2+Light+Pink+Hybrid+Tea+Rose&client=firefox-a&hs=rVB&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dBSNUYuWHOrBygHysIHoDg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=625

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. So many possibilities. How do I narrow it down?

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another photo of a recent bloom fully opening. This one had easily distinguishable yellow at the inside of the petals.

I was reading in Taylor's Guides on Roses (by Nancy J. Ondra) about the common rose variety called Peace:

"Plump, pink-blushed, yellow buds open to display double, 5-to 6-inch flowers that begin with high centers and open to a cupped form."

--I don't have any 6 inch flowers but a few were about 5 inches with others being smaller if lower on the same cane. Blooms are supposed to be double, which usually means about 25 petals, but I know I have counted at least 50 petals on two roses, so that doesn't match.

But it also says:

"You'll notice that just about every photograph of this rose looks different, because the colors can vary depending on growing conditions. Generally, the petals are soft yellow edged with pink; in cool, cloudy conditions, the blooms may appear mostly a golden yellow, while sun and heat fade the yellow and darken the pink... Glossy, deep green leaves are carried on moderately thorny canes."

• kutekaos
    10 years ago

My double delight isn't always that red, sometimes it looks like your rose. I think you have a Double Delight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help me Find Roses

• kutekaos
    10 years ago

Here is a link to a picture of a Double Delight. This one doesn't have as much red and it has an almost creamy center

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Delight Rose pictures

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Double Delight is a phototropic rose. That means it changes color with the amount of sunlight it gets. If your rose does that it could be DD.

Here is a series of pictures I took of the changes in one bloom of DD over a period of about 24 hours. This is the same bloom at 3:30 & 8:30 pm on 8-3-06 and then at 1:30 pm on the next day, 8-4-06. Sorry about the blurriness. I cut and pasted them together and this is the best I could get.

• kutekaos
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures Seil!! Thanks for sharing.
    Sincerely,
    L'Origan

• lola-lemon
    10 years ago

Another thing about a phototropic rose, like double delight, is that the rose gets suntan lines- so to speak.
    If you were to lift up, or fold back the center petals in Seil's middle picture above, you would notice the petals underneath would be white where the inner petals were shielding the outer petals from the sun. There is an obvious "tan line".

I wonder if it could be Garden Party.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The roses I've photographed from my plants do not change colors in the sun, certainly nothing like those three photos posted. What I find is some variability between individual blooms, and that's the case with the Peace variety, as I noted above. I also think there's more yellow in my roses, and the edges of double delight seem to be more red than pink. My roses have a softer pink tinge at the tip of the petals.

This post was edited by peterk312 on Sun, May 19, 13 at 16:19

• Jewelsgarden
    10 years ago

Could your rose be the Secret rose variety?

• SoFL Rose z10
    10 years ago

Maybe Kordes perfecta? I got a kordes perfecta from Home Depot a while back. She's a bit of a blackspot magnet but her blooms are lovely. Any fragrance?

• wkaran
    7 years ago

I saw the same rose in Seattle, I am still searching the name. Same as yours.

• bethnorcal9
    7 years ago

If you look thru the pics on HMF, I think you might conclude it's KORDES PERFECTA

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022