Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rehabbingisgreen

Lady banks?? I don't think so...

rehabbingisgreen
14 years ago

I have a red rose. Isn't lady Banks yellow? The pot is marked Lady Banks but it is a red rose with small foilage and smallish blooms. I'm going to try to attach a photo from last summer. She's still in this pot and has been left outside all winter in a zone 5 and is popping a few leaves already. She seems to be pretty hardy. I have no idea what this rose is, maybe someone can help me. I need to id her so I can know where to put her in the ground and what she is going to do.

Image link:

Comments (5)

• petaloid
    14 years ago

It may be that the rootstock it was grafted on has taken over, which is commonly a red once-blooming climber named Dr. Huey. (I'll put a link below to a description -- click on the "photos" tab for more pictures.)

It also could be some other red climber that ended up with the wrong label.

Lady Banks is either the yellow version you mentioned or the regular white variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Huey

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

Lady Banks isn't hardy here in near-coastal NJ, so I can't imagine it would be hardy in zone 5. I suspect the rootstock Dr. Huey now too...

• brenda_c
    14 years ago

Hi rehabbingisgreen Please email mail me for possible trade. Thanks Brenda

• caroleena
    14 years ago

i have 2 Lady Banks- 1 yellow & 1 white. these bloom in spring and they have no thorns @ all. i've never heard of a red one.

• cllc
    12 years ago

I bought 2 climbing red lady banks roses at walmart the other day. It is strange but I don't thinks it is the rootstock theory. I just don't know where it came from.