Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_m_gw

Please Help I.D. Roses

lauren.m
11 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and new to rose gardening as well. We have roses outside our home that were planted by others and I would love to know what they are.

It has just rained, so please excuse the drops in the photos.

The roses were very sick, so I'm trying to combat the black spot and rust with a few tricks I've read on the forums. There are a few more roses that have not yet bloomed, and when they do I'd like to post more photos if that's ok.

I'm very excited about properly looking after these roses, and these forums have been very beneficial to me. Thank you to everyone who shares their advice.

In case the photos don't show up I am adding a link to the album the photos are posted to on Flickr.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr Album of Rose Images

Comments (5)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Do you have any idea when they were planted? Any information you can give about them would be helpful as well as photos of the stages of bloom, starting with the buds, the leaves, canes and the full plant too. They all look like modern roses, hybrid teas, florabundas, shrubs and such. The lavender one could be Angel Face or Neptune. The second one could be Cherish. There are tons of red and pink ones that those two could be. Look at Firefighter and Baby Blanket and see what you think. Those are just guesses though. What color is the back of the petals on that last one? Pink, white or yellow? There are fewer to chose from if you know the exact color of the reverse. Maybe Ronald Reagan?

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Did you try to dig in the area around their base to see if there's a label? When I plant my bareroots, I usually bury the graft a few inches deep, and many times this also means that the plastic name label also ends up well under the mulch. Might be worth a deeper look; if they truely were rose collectors, then chances are they may have left the labels on. :)

Tammy

• lauren.m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks so much for the replies. Unfortunately I've had a bad break out of several diseases on the roses, so they're kind of bare right now, but when they get new growth I'll post more photos.

I did find one tag for the top rose, which was labelled "Blue Girl". It was buried in the dirt by the rose. The rest don't have labels.

The one pink rose in photo #4 above I have another photo of. It's the happiest rose in the garden, and is making lots of flowers in clusters:

Thanks for your help!

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Hi there. I'll toss out a couple guesses if the first is Blue Girl. Back when Blue girl was in the box stores regularly- i think you would have seen::
    (If they are nicely fragrant)
    ...The peach colored ---/Brandy or Whiskey Mac;
    and the red with white reverse could be Typhoo tea. The happy pink might be Manetti (rootstock?).
    Good luck.

• lauren.m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much for your help!

I looked up those roses and they do look very much like the ones in our garden. They all have a very light scent or no scent, but the soil needed lots of help and I'm not sure if that affects scent?
    The Manetti looks just like the one in our garden, and it is nearly thornless and the healthiest one we have. It's my favorite of the ones that were planted here, so I'm thankful to know what it may be and excited it's possibly an old rose.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida