Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardner_dragon

can anyone identify this old rose?

gardner_dragon
18 years ago

These roses are growing at the edge of my neighbors driveway and have been there since he was young(hes in his early 40s). They were planted by his mother and he has no idea what they might be. I would like to take some cuttings of them to root for my yard.

What I do know about them is very limited.

They both have a strong rose scent.

Both blossoms are 2 2/1 across

The lighter one is slightly pinker than the picture shows

Image link:

Comments (11)

• olga_6b
    18 years ago

Do they bloom only in spring or repeat all season?
    Olga

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

The Hybrid Musk Cornelia maybe?

Jen

• olga_6b
    18 years ago

No, definitely not Cornelia, leaves are very different and the bloom is also not Cornelia. Leaves look like some rugosas are in the parentage of this one.
    Olga

• collinw
    17 years ago

Could it be Blanc Double de Coubert, a rugusa hybrid.

• gardner_dragon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Definitely not Blanc Double de Coubert. That rose is nearly all white. This one is a very pale pink. Thanks for trying to ID it.

From what I remember from last year,it only blooms in the spring. The darker one in the other picture also seems to only bloom in the spring. This is really a shame since they are both so beautiful and smell heavenly. Nice strong rose scent,not like the newer ones that are somewhat washed out in the scent department for the sake of beautiful, long lasting blooms.

• gardner_dragon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

One other thing about this rose that may be useful. Neither one gets over 3-4 feet tall. They both stay kinda small. I am not sure if this is due to their growing conditions or their heritage. They also do not sprawl all over the place but stay somewhat compact in their growing.

• pinkiered
    17 years ago

It looks just like Henry Hudson. They are hybrid rugosa from the Explorer series. Hope this helps you ID it.

• gardner_dragon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Henry Hudson looks VERY close to the rose I want to start. Hopefully this is what it is.

Can anyone help with the ID of the 2nd rose picture

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

Looks like Therese Bugnet, though not 100% positive.

Jen

• collinw
    17 years ago

Sorry, but this is not Terese Bugnet. Terese Bugnet has very distinctive oblong leaves, and the bloom isn't quite right either. The petals have a slightly scalloped look.