Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephs04_gw

Beautiful Deep Red Velvety Rose

stephs04
12 years ago

Hello there,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me id this rose I picked up today from Ace. I wasn't there for flowers at all, but this beautiful thing caught my eye and I had to have it! I just need to know what it is so I can best take care of it. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Stephanie

Image link:

Comments (6)

• rosetom
    12 years ago

Sorry, but you need to post a bigger pic than that for any of us to have a chance at telling what it is.

• stephs04
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yikes...that is tiny. How about this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41650825@N08/7115308949/

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

It looks like a modern hybrid tea rose. Maybe Mr. Lincoln, it's hard to tell from just one open bloom shot. Wasn't there any kind of packaging on it?

• rosetom
    11 years ago

Many of us who've had mis-labeled roses have taken a couple of years to figure them out. That's because many roses won't reveal their true form until they're well established. Your rose doesn't look like it has enough petals to be Mister Lincoln as Seil suggests, but then again - if it's weak, the petal count could be low.

As she said, it's hard to tell from just one open bloom shot.

• stephs04
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much! I'm new to this so is there another picture I could take? I picked this up at Ace and the only thing the tag said was "rose Promo" I would love to know what it is but more importantly the best care for it. Sorry if I'm a bit ignorant here :) but I am new to roses so maybe they all have similar care,

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Shots of the flower in all stages from bud to spent, leaves, canes and whole plant shots are always helpful.

Yes, for the most part all roses require the same care. 6, preferably 8 hours of sunlight, about an inch of water per week, some fertilizer monthly and some pruning as needed to take out dead wood and keep the shape is pretty basic to all roses. In your zone you don't need to worry about things like winterizing. There are some exceptions in the pruning category but those are for very specific types of roses and yours does not appear to be any of those types.

Keep it watered but do not let it get soggy or stay very wet for a long time because roses don't like soggy roots. Feed it any type of well balanced fertilizer. What ever you use on the rest of your garden will work just fine as long as you feed them regularly. In your zone I think most people do a hard "spring" pruning in February but I'm not in your zone so you may want to check that with a local nursery or better yet, contact a local rose society. They will be able to give you very good accurate information for your area. You can locate a local society by going to the American Rose Societies web site. They have a list of them on there.

Really, roses aren't any harder to care for or require any thing more than what any perennial plant needs. So if you grow perennials you can grow roses!

Here is a link that might be useful: American Rose Society