Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

A rose I found while scrounging around the 'net

greenhaven
16 years ago

I cannot believe this rose!!! problem is, the Italian phrases that accomany it do not help me figure out what it is. Check out the buds...I think it is related to a crested moss. Can you help?

I HAVE TO HAVE THIS!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose photo, Italian captions!

Comments (14)

• donnaz5
    16 years ago

I went on a translation site, and Meraviglia means "wonder" in english. I looked on HMF and it isn't there. It may be a new rose, exclusive to italy? It is a lovely rose! Donna

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, I translated it, too... it also means "amazement," "full of awe," and other phrases that together give a specific meaning to the word. Unfortunately that doesn't get me any closer to the name of the rose. :o(

• petaloid
    16 years ago

I think it's Chapeau de Napoleon, which is one of the tags along the right side of the page in your link.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

petaloid, you think so? That is actually how I got to that photo stream, looking for photos of 'Chapeau de Napoleon.' I know the one right next to that photo is one of CdN. They don't look quite the same to me, though.

Tell me the things that make you think it is the same rose. I am more than a little nutty about this plant!

• riku
    16 years ago

I agree with Petaloid, I grown the rose for about 5 years the sepals are what gives it the name Napoleon's Hat. It is a moss rose and normally readily available in North America.

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

greenhaven, very inexperienced here, but I don't think the rose you want is Chapeau de Napoleon. You are correct that CdN is to the right of the one you are referring to, which appears totally different. I don't speak Italian, but I am going to guess that the name of the rose is 'Meraviglia' which means 'wonderful', and below the picture, 'Spendido bocciolo, splendide rose', the only one I will guess at is 'splendide' which assume they are commenting on that this is a 'splendid' rose. Good luck on trying to locate your rose.

• riku
    16 years ago

Here are the same blooms opening on either side.

• petaloid
    16 years ago

The foliage and the moss on the buds were what made me think that was a photo of CdN with the bud just starting to open.

I'm guessing the caption "Meraviglia" is equivalent of our labeling a beautiful photo "Awesome," rather than it being an alternate name of the rose.

I haven't grown it myself but have seen it in two local public rose gardens. One of the nicest heritage roses, in my opinion.

• petaloid
    16 years ago

The photos preceding this one are several of Evelyn in different stages of opening and two of Crepuscule showing different stages.

Then there is one photo clearly labeled Chapeau de Napoleon showing a fully-opened bloom, followed by another photo of a rose in bud of the same color, with the same mossy buds and same foliage captioned 'Sp[l]endido bocciolo, splendide rose' meaning "splendid bud, splendid rose."

I hope you'll believe riku, who grows it, and me, who has seen it and still remembers a little bit of the Italian classes she took back in the '70s.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

petaloid and riku, I do believe you, now! I still thank eloise for helping straighten out the Italian!

Oh, I definitely want this rose, now! Riku, do you grow it in zone 3? Do you protect for winter? And does CdN rebloom and smell nice? Those last two are just bonuses for me, but it is nice to hear from someone who grows it how it behaves for that person.

Thanks, folks, for helping me out.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

petaloid and riku, I do believe you, now! I still thank eloise for helping straighten out the Italian!

Oh, I definitely want this rose, now! Riku, do you grow it in zone 3? Do you protect for winter? And does CdN rebloom and smell nice? Those last two are just bonuses for me, but it is nice to hear from someone who grows it how it behaves for that person.

Thanks, folks, for helping me out. Omigosh, I cannot believe how OBSESSED I am with this rose, now! Those sepals are to DIE for beautiful.....

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry for the double post.....

(Greenhaven goes scrounging for CdN for sale, even though she has more than enough roses to keep her busy this May...)

• riku
    16 years ago

Hi greenhaven, yes I have to protect it by bending and burying it over winter. You being in zone 4b-5a maybe able to get away without protection. However if you get it as a band it maybe wise to consider covering it in the first year using whatever technique works best in your climate - my winters are dry and cold with little snow cover. As to fragrance unfortunately I do not study that except for some specific really strong ones such as the bourbons. But HMF states a "Strong, centifolia fragrance" and that description I do not know what it means ... but most Old Garden roses are extremely fragrant.

After my favorite OGR types, the bourbons and portlands, I really like mosses as they seem to be the more hardy type up here. Grow about 7 or 8 varieties.

• User
    15 years ago

That is definitely R. centifolia cristata aka 'Chapeau de Napoleon'

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus