Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ordphien

A few unknown roses...

ordphien
10 years ago

I have a few roses on my yard that deserve some medals of honor.
They were originally planned by grandma, and after her death received absolutely no care.
For the past 9 years these guys have been growing in solid clay, in the baking sun, with no pruning, fertilizing, or water.
And somehow they lived and bloomed year after year.

So! after treating them nicely for the first time in years, I decided it would be great to know these little troopers names.
Ok.... to start with...
This peachy orange rose. The fragrance is light, vaguely rosy...
The blooms are normally borne singly on long stems, but occasionally out produces clusters of 3.
The bush itself is about 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide.
The remarkable thing ( at least to me) is the large size of the blooms.
They are easily larger than my head and rival my giant dahlias in size.
It blooms in flushes, about 4 or 5 per growing season.

This post was edited by Ordphien on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 20:14

Comments (19)

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This rose is also very large.... larger than my hand but not bigger than my head. It's bright pink and open. The blooms are open and borne singly on short stems. It smells very strongly of cinnamon.
    The bush is about 5 feet tall and 5 feet wide. It is pretty much constantly in bloom.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This rose is just a nice pink. Very light rose fragrance.
    The flowers are single on long stems.
    It's never not in bloom, and makes an excellent cut flower. Lasts simply forever in a vase.
    The bush is 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide, with absolutely no leaves on the bottom half of the bush.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This rose is a lot like the pink one. It never not in bloom, borne singly on long stems, light rose fragrance. It's a bright cheerful yellow that never fades. They also last forever in a vase.
    The bush is around 4 feet tall and currently 14 feet tall.
    And still growing... mind you I pruned it down this year as well. I had to use a step ladder to get this photo.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This last one is one of my families favorites.
    My camera hates capturing the colour on this rose.
    Really hates it all I'm going to post multiple photos.
    It's a beautiful solid lavender. Unfortunately my phone makes it much more pink.
    The flowers are again, borne singly on long stems. It makes a fantastic cut flower and lasts forever in a vase, along with the pink and yellow one.

The scent is extremely strong, of fruit loops and citrus.
    The lavender colour is always during and clear and this rise never fades to pink.
    It blooms in modest flushes, about 3 or 4 per year.
    The bush is around 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is with flash.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is edited... it's as close as I can make the picture to the true colour. still not completely accurate though.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is an untouched photo of an opening bud.
    It's the closest my camera can get to the true colour.

• gr8heather
    10 years ago

Not positive, but the pink one might be Queen Elizabeth. Mine grows tall and narrow with no leafs on the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen Elizabeth

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

The peachy orange one could be SUNSET CELEBRATION.

• intris
    10 years ago

Maybe the lavender one is blue girl? Just a shot in the dark.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF - Blue Girl

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Try the rose forum if you haven't already done so.
    kay

• QuestioningSerenity
    10 years ago

Newbie, but that purple looks alot like my blue girl. So can I second the blue girl suggestion?

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Queen Elizabeth is a match I think. After some consideration I think Sunset Celebration is a good match too.
    Blue girl in not sure about. I found lots of blue girls in the local nurseries and surrounding neighborhoods.
    Blue girl isn't as purple or as fragrant as this bush.Everything about blue girl was very similar, but obviously not it... hmm...

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Maybe Neptune?

The yellow one could be Midas Touch or Oregold.

• ValliNagy
    10 years ago

The pink one does look a lot like my Queen Elizabeth.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Neptune looks like a good match.
    I'll have to see one in person.
    But it seems better match than blue girl so far.

Midas touch maybe.
    But it's not listed to grow as tall as this bush. Which just hit the 16 foot mark.

If you would all indulge me a few of my other roses are about to open and id love to get an ID on them.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This rose is a poor performer that I would dearly love to rip out. But I have been banned from doing so by my family. It's remarkably disease and pest free.
    The problem is the fact that it produces maybe two blooms every 3 years or so, never gets taller than two feet, and never has more than two canes. It clearly does not like my yard.
    It's pink on the edges, white in the middle. And has a light hybrid tea rose fragrance.

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

from the side

• ordphien
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one I can't really get a good picture of. Once in the garden I'll try again. I took these indoors as this rose is in a vase.

It's got a light clean scent. Fruity in a way. Very fresh.
    The colour is... a neon coral?
    The bush is making a surprise comeback so I couldn't tell you it's normal height and width. So far it's around 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm