Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Is this Duchesse de Rohan?

kittymoonbeam
11 years ago

I'm trying to narrow down the possibilities. This is a rose that was sent by mistake but being a band, it took a while to see what it was. It grows very fast although not too tall and spreads by growing thin canes and getting wider every year. It flowers in spring with my Bourbons. The flowers are about the same size or larger than a large Reine Victoria and not as large as Madame Issac P. or La Reine.

Comments (5)

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not many thorns but not completely smooth

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The canes look smooth until you get up close and you see the itty bitty prickles. Old dried petals seem to hang on.

• petaloid
    11 years ago

Those are great photos, and I'm thinking you might have good luck for an ID on the Antique Roses forum, if you haven't already posted there.

Where did you get it?

• User
    11 years ago

If it does not rebloom on and off through the entire growing season, then its not 'Duchesse de Rohan', no.

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

trospero, I did think of that, but then my other bourbons and Hps are not giving any bloom until maybe a few in the fall. Comte de Chambord, La Reine, Baronne Prevost and Madame Issac P are the only ones to do much repeating for me. It's the same story with my tall DAs like Kathryn Morley. I'm not upset about it and I'm actually grateful to have them growing and blooming without getting blackspot but I do think my mild, dry climate tinkers with the rebloom on these kinds of roses.