Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gypsysunrise

White 'wild' roses?

gypsysunrise
14 years ago

Anyone know what type of rose this is? It's growing in my backyard, very fragrant when it blooms!

Comments (3)

• michaelg
    14 years ago

Rosa multiflora. Too bad the bloom period is so short, but the fragrance continues to waft after all the petals are gone.

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

see here - it's a wild rose, I do not grow it, always pull it out if it sprouts up.

Pretty sure it's the 1st rose that was affected by Rose Rosette. see here If you click on photos at helpmefind, you will see a few photos by me where it was growing wild by my old house. It's huge if left to ramble, crossing streets by growing on the telephone pole wires; growing up tall trees. Very pretty site though.

History of Rose Rosette Disease
    Symptoms that were undoubtedly due to rose rosette disease were described in the United States as early as 1941. Spread of the disease in the United States was intimately tied to the history of the multiflora rose, an exotic plant that was introduced from Japan in 1866 as a rootstock for ornamental roses. During the 1930's through 1960's, planting multiflora rose was recommended for erosion control, as a bird sanctuary and food source, as a living fence for cattle, for strip mine reclamation, and as a crash barrier on highways. This recommendation ultimately backfired. Multiflora rose can produce a million or more seeds per plant and can propagate itself vegetatively as well. It quickly spread and is now declared a noxious weed in several states.

Multiflora rose is highly susceptible to rose rosette disease, so much so that the disease was initially considered a potential biological control for multiflora rose. Even now, some people suggest introducing infected plants into areas with multiflora rose to control this weed. Most rose growers, however, are very wary of this recommendation because rose rosette disease can spread quickly from multiflora rose to cultivated roses.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

The reason multiflora plays such a big role in transmitting Rosette disease is that it is the only really common wild rose. Since the woods and fields are full of it, it plays the role of reservoir and bridge as the disease spreads. But in the yard, it is no more susceptible than any other big rose plant.