Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
averick

old pink trellis rose

averick
13 years ago

My house was built in 1890. I moved in about 7 years ago. My next door neighbor who's been there 45+ years says the pink 'climbing' rose right beside of the house was well established when she moved in, so obviously it was put there some time between 1890 and 1975. It definitely needs a trellis or flops over and blocks the driveway. Sometimes the new growth when it is young and straight will reach the 2nd story window above it (12-15'?) The scent is similar to my rose de rescht but not very strong. It blooms once in May here in MI. pictures can be seen here: http://www.facebook.com/CathleenVictoria?v=photos#!/album.php?aid=2038559&id=1470351519 this hips are usually a dark orangy red when they are fresh (I think, I'll know again for sure in a few weeks). I really want to know where all it will do well, because I am moving to Houston, TX (zone 8b) in August, and I plan to do some air layering so that I can take some of it with me. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas you can offer. It fits all the descriptions of Zepherine Droughan except that ZD is said to be a repeat bloomer. Please help, I've looked through many books and can't figure it out.

Comments (5)