Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginni77

Need help ID'ing this rose

ginni77
18 years ago

This isn't my rose, but I just rustled some cuttings from it. It is in an alley in a sort of bad neighborhood and doesn't appear to belong to anyone. It gets NO care.

Here are the particulars:

Strong fragrance, old rose.

5-6' bush

Large blooms about 6-7" across when fully opened.

Healthy medium green foliage, never have seen BS on it.

Large thorns that have some space between them.

Hot pink color, some blurred white on the reverse.

Here are a couple of photos:

{{gwi:1219000}}
{{gwi:1219002}}
{{gwi:1219004}}

TIA,

Ginni

Comments (10)

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

It appears its blooms are "borne mostly singly" ...kinda indicating it's a hybrid-tea. There aren't very many SOLID deep-pink colored HTs - and fewer still who have "strong" fragrance. So my off-the-top-of-my-head wild guesses are either Electron or Miss All-American Beauty.

MAAB's petal-count average is 50-60.

You mentioned "no blackspot" even though the rose is quite neglected. So this comment from the official description of MAAB may be relevant:
    "In September 1998, the Montreal Botanical Garden (Le Jardin Botanique de Montreal) carried out a survey of its roses' resistance to black spot, powdery mildew and rust. This is one of the outstanding varieties which showed a 0% to 5% infection rate. The data was taken on well-established roses."

For what it's worth, I lean toward MAAB rather than Electron (whose blooms are positively ELECTRIC deep-pink). MAAB and Electron blooms can be hard to tell apart. When you see them side-by-side, it's the "electric pink" thing you notice about Electron - and perhaps that has something to do with its name. ;-) Your photos (well done, by the way) look more like the color of MAAB. But we all know photos may not capture the exact color. So with your report of no blackspot, and my seeing no "electric" pink, I'm guessing it's MAAB.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• rosetom
    18 years ago

JohnReb's analysis is very good, and very informative when it comes to BS. I spray, so I would not know about resistence. My first reaction would be puzzlement, because it definitely looks like Miss AAB, but I would've been skeptical because there are very few modern Hybrid Tea's that can resist BS and no care. (The bloom form, size and single flower stems is conclusive for HT.) JohnReb did some good research finding that out.

I have both Miss AAB and Electron, and Electron does not seem a likely candidate. Electron's bush is fairly squat, although it will reach a decent height with good care, 5-6 feet seems a little much without some regular feeding. Electron's flowers are also not as large as 6-7". Its thorns are very prominent and plentiful, too. They are particularly vicious and should illicit a prominent description, unlike what's mentioned here.

Miss AAB does have a couple of unique traits. It almost always throws off as many blooms that are deformed as ones that are exhibition form. If a few of those buds are deformed, it is definitely Miss AAB. Also, the bush in the picture looks better behaved than Miss AAB. Mine will get some pretty ragged growth. Left alone and unpruned, a typical bush would probably not have a shape that nice. Although, it does look like there's some errant growth around the bottom. Perhaps the really errant growth gets "naturally" pruned.

Miss AAB is a pretty good guess, and JohnReb's research on BS resistence may be the most important factor to narrow the choices.

• ginni77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks so much both of you for your thoughts. I posted pix of this rose on the rose gallery and the consensus there is MAAB too. I really want this rose and I'm glad to hear that it's one that may still be in comerce. (Just in case I can't get the cuttings to root for me...I don't have much luck with them)

Thanks again, I think we have a winner!

Ginni

• patricianat
    18 years ago

Well, just for the record, I think it's Maria Callas (*g*)

• rosetom
    18 years ago

Hmmm ... I have this rose that looks like Keepsake, but someone told me it's Esmeralda. ;-)

• martiparti
    18 years ago

Hi. This rose is 'Miss All American Beauty." It has a double bloom and it is known in Europe as "Maria Callas." But same rose. I have two of them and they are just awesome. They have seen their share of trophies over the years at the shows.

• Maddiegirl
    18 years ago

Yup, looks just like my MAAB. Wondeful rose.

• patricianat
    18 years ago

There was another one this color: Was it Captain Harry Stebbins or something like that? But I do believe this is MAAB, formerly known as Maria Callas.

• ginni77
    Original Author
    18 years ago

As a follow up, I have found 3, 3-gallon MAAB's and bought all three of them! I also have the cuttings going, 2 look like they might be viable...but the rest, well, they are going the way most of my cuttings have gone...LOL.

Anyway, the roses I bought are bud & bloom roses so I will know in a day or so that I got the right rose, as they are all about to open buds. So far the buds look right. Now to find a place for all three of these roses!

Thanks everyone,
    Ginni

• desertratrose
    18 years ago

Let us know if it is. Its gorgeous.

Suz