Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susaninthegarden

Harisons Yellow versions

susaninthegarden
16 years ago

Harisons Yellow has several versions. One is the usual version with a deep yellow. A cross with harisons in a seedling resulted in a lighter yellow version known as Harisons Lemon. Another variation is Harisons Salmon.

Awhile back I was trying to identify my yellow rose bush and decided it was definately a Harisons Yellow but my two bushes are different yellow and different scent.

Nevertheless they both fit the description for Harisons Yellow.

Now it seems to be apparent that although they are both Harisons one is the Yellow and one is probably the Lemon. Mystery solved! I hope.

Comments (11)

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

there is also Williams Double Yellow-another Hybrid Spinosissima-very similar...Hah..I just learned how to tell the difference-William has a green pip..interesting..

patricia

• susaninthegarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Green pip sounds interesting :D
    There is also a Harison's Salmon to but I dont think that one is yellow.

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

A green pip means a green eye-a little point of green carpels in the center of the flower. According to The American Rose Society Encyclopedia of roses the only way to reliably tell them apart-of interest to me as the birds like to remove my labels. The buds are a little different but no one mentions that-the reason I read your post-looking for pointers...

patricia

• susaninthegarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So what does the encyclopedia say about the buds?

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

the Encyclopedia doesn't mention the buds. On one the buds show yellow and the other shows dark edges like many Spinosissimas have-around the sepales. I dont remember which-I need to check my labels-I might have them reversed. Got to remember to check that green eye thing when I go down the hill this morning. I was too witless to do it yesterday. Will let you know what I find. I could try to take some pics but I am not much of a photographer.

patricia

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

OK, The buds on what must be Harisons Yellow are red of all things. I had just registered it as darker. I say must be HY because I had a label on the ground and this Harisony Yellow looking potted bush with no label. The other one has the green eye that the book mentions and it is labeled Williams double yellow. Else wise they look the same.

patricia

• susaninthegarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

completely red or a tinge of red? one of my harisons has a tinge and the other doesnt

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

A tinge of red-The Williams doesn't have that at all. There were a bazillion Spinosissima hybrids in the old days-there was quite the fad for Scots Briars and I gather they hybridize easily and naturally. There is nothing to say that you dont have a natural hybrid-why not? I have been adding some Spinosissimas and they are a new favorite of mine. I love the tidy foliage and contrast of the stem color and so on. I was just looking in my GS Thomas and he says of all things that Harison's doesn't tend to sucker and Williams does big time. I thought suckering and Harisons was synonymous. Beales has a nice section on the Pimpinellifolias(I wish they would just chose a name and stick with it) He says that in 1814 one firm offered 100 varieties. Fascinating..

patricia

• susaninthegarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Amazing and to think we thought it was all one simple old fashioned rose!
    I can not imagine a Harison's that doesn't sucker. In fact someone said on here that they do not propate well any other way!

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

I am going to start saving seed. What we need is another Stanwell Perpetual only in yellow.

p

• susaninthegarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a pretty pink rose, unknown name, very close to one of my harison bushes and both set hips so wondering if seeds would have interesting colors.
    The pink is similar to Queen Elizabeth but isn't. Too short of stems, seldom has clusters of blooms and has too nice a fragrence.
    A pretty pink harisons would be cool. :D