Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mr. Blue Bird?

Posted by maple_man z7 DC (My Page) on
Wed, May 24, 06 at 5:06

It's a very old rose (i put it in a pot two years ago, before then the trunk was under ground)we think it was at the house in 1957 when we moved in. we think it was old then. we think it maybe 50 to 100 years old. it looks like a miniature called "Mr. Blue Bird" but that i think is a 1960 intro and this has got to be older then that.

Image link: Mr. Blue Bird? (32 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mr. Blue Bird?

Oops.. my photo has the wrong date. - the defalt when i changed the camera batteries. it should say 5-19-06. also i will will try to post a close up of flowers later.

o

Wow, a bonsai rose!

Do the flowers have white centers? (I can't tell by the photo.) If so, it could be the polyantha Baby Faurax (1924) or the polyantha Raymond Privat (1935).

o

Cecilia, i should have thought of you and taken it to the spring swap but i feared it would fry in the car. Yes, there is a little white at the very center but it's hardly noticeable. i have two photos of the flowers - may have to post them sepertly. As for color: On the H.R.S. colour chart it is Fan 2 - Red - Purple Group # 67 A or B (some of both) I also have 'Botanica's ROSES'book, (it's about two inches thick with ID photos of amost 2000 roses) and on page 591 is a photo of one called 'Mr. Bluebird' my rose bonsai looks just like that photo. I will make note of the two you pointed out and look them up. Thanks, ~ Brian

o

Brian,
I have looked at your other photos and this is definitely not 'Mr. Bluebird'. It is, however, some kind of Polyantha, but which one I don't know. There are many that look a lot like this. Good luck.

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here