Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nurseruthie

Large White Rose Bush - Noisette? White Cloud?

NurseRuthie
10 years ago

It would mean A LOT to me if soneone can help me identify this rose.

I purchased this rose from a big box home improvement store 5 years in a bin of $3.99 bare root roses. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor the following year and its driving me crazy that I can't remember the name of this rosé. I've been trying to figure it out for 3 years now.

It's characteristics remind me of the noisettes I've seen - ESPECIALLY the blush noisette, but I live in Zone 5 and it thrives here and has basically no die back. It also has only a VERY palest pink tinge to the buds and the blooms are white. The blush noisettes seem to have at least a little more pink. It is very, very thorny - more so than any of my other 41 rose bushes.

I do have a gardening notebook, which shows I planted a rosé named White Cloud- but can't find many pictures or much information online about "rosa white cloud". I lost several roses the year I got sick because it was very hot and dry and I was too sick to care properly for the newly planted ones.

I am posting a farther away picture, but will post a closer up one also if it will let me. The legs of this bush are thick and thorny, visible up to about 2 feet, and very upright. This bush is about 8-9 ft tall and 11-12 feet wide. It has been heavily pruned at least twice and lightly pruned this year. It's a vigorous grower and has a wonderful fragrance. I would describe the canes as somewhat arching. Aftee the first big flush, it has scattered blooms throughout the summer until it freezes late in the fall.

Thank you for trying to help!

Ruthie

Comments (7)

• NurseRuthie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm the original poster- just adding a closer up view of the rose bush.

• NurseRuthie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can Prosperity get this large and have this habit?

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi- Help Me Find lists a Kordes hybrid by the name of White Cloud that looks a bit like your rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Cloud on HMF

• NurseRuthie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donald,

First off- THANK YOU for taking the time to try to help me solve this mystery. I totally agree about the bloom reaemblance. The thing that throws me off about White Cloud is that the descriptions of habit that I've found and the zone ratings don't seem to fit. It says its hardy to Zone 6b- and I'm in Zone 5. It basically has no die back to speak of. More importantly- I've not been able to find a photo of a White Cloud that resembles my large specimen with it's fairly stiff, semi-arching canes. This thing grew to very large within a year and huge within 2 years (as large as it is now).

I found a photo on HMF of White Cloud (below) at the Alnwick Gardens and I had found this same photo previously on google images. The way the branches of these White Cloud roses are on the ground/in the grass couldn't possibly happen with the rose I have. It actually is VERY thorny, bare brown, small tree like canes up to at least 2 or 3 feet up with fairly stiff, arching branches that hang down to about 2 feet off the ground. The thorniness of this rosé supersedes that of all my other roses (>40 other rosé species).

It seems like every time I've found a rosé that seems to fit- there's always one big something that's 'off'. Also- the leaves on the specimen I have are very dark green and glossy.

Thanks again for your time and helpfulness!

Here is a link that might be useful: White Cloud rose on HMF

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

Hi-

Re zone- I wouldn't be put off by HMF's indication of zone 6B- that is the default zone for that database and it may just indicate that nobody has rated it otherwise.
    Re habit- it is described as a fairly ambitious climber, up to 25 feet.
    It's a shame that there aren't more photos out there, particularly of entire mature bushes. Maybe it wasn't one of Kordes' more popular offerings.
    d

• dutchrose71
    10 years ago

Could it possibly be Seafoam? I was reading about that rose not too long ago, and while I don't think it gets that large??, it is very thorny with dark green, shiny leaves. Just a thought from a novice rose grower.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Your rose is beautiful and it does indeed look very much like the photos of White Cloud. I have to agree with Donald. HMF tries to be as accurate as possible but if they don't have input from some one who grows the rose in a particular zone they use that default rating. I like to check the "Gardens" tab and see where it's being grown. If you look at that tab for White Cloud you'll see it's growing in some pretty cold places, like Moscow and the Alps!

Here is a link that might be useful: White Cloud gardens tab