Anybody got a clue what this might be:

http://shimbopottery.com/roses/centifolia_maybe.html

Thanks!

-Fa

Comments (4)

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Fa,
    I tried e-mailing you from your post on Antiques-perhaps you didn't get it? What about some more info-Thorns? Do the Sepals reflex? Centifolias often have non reflexing sepals. New foliage in Centifolias is usually bronzy and Albas seldom are( Like Konigin Von Danemark who is very hybrid). Leaflets in Centifolia tend to hang downward and they have more thorns than you would think-a mix of large and samller-hooked to a certain extent. Your leaflets look fuzzy-that is a Damask trait(arrrgh right?) Centifolia leaflets are fairly large and thiner-but not so thin as Albas. In case it is a Damask mix of some sort-and they can get large as well, you would have a mix of large and small straight prickles. I expect this is no help at all. Beautiful rose though-is it scented?

patricia

• emmiegray1
    16 years ago

Going to try to post the pic here...
    {{gwi:1219314}}

Going by this photo, it does look like the leaves have that matte, bluish-toned foliage of an alba. How about petal count and a photo of the stipules - the little 'wings' attached where the stem attaches to the cane.

A

• fara_s
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Patricia, alas my spam filter eats just about everything... Will try to answer your questions, though:

Thorns: very few and low on the cane, usually none at all near the flower.

Sepals: I don't remember whether they reflex or not.

New foliage is edged in red but that doesn't last. There's not enough that I'd call it "bronzy."

Leaflets open flat, are matte emerald green and hairy on both sides. There are typically seven. They are much thinner than other roses I have that I know to be damasks.

Scented: oh, heck, yes! You can smell it a furlong away!

Stipules: small, hairy and with a reddish center.

Emmiegray,

There are about 80 petals per flower, and the leaves do become decidedly bluish.

Hope this helps.

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Fa,

What I had emailed you about was that I had started a list of Rose class characteristics. I just started writing down every thing I read in my books from the "experts" that related to class-like I recently read Damasks have long hips-that goes on the list. Some of it is wrong. Damasks do not have little stemlets on the leaflets..I looked at all my Damasks. Anyway after I emailed you I started going through the list again and comparing the points to my roses to see if they really compared-interesting. Anyway I am revising my list as the spring bloom comes on-for what it is worth when I am done I will send it to you if you want. The idea being to give me a clue as to at least the group of a found rose... I am just learning-been trying to ID found roses for 5 or 6 years. As for yours...Tomentose leaflets-and fall color-that is nice. I have never seen anything like that-outside of a Moss. Chloris which is an Alba hybrid has the fall color and even 7 leaflets but they are not fuzzy. As for the bronzy thing-I was trying to think of some way to describe the color that didn't say red exactly-like the tea/china influence. Centifolias can have reddish yellowly orangey coloring on the new floiage and some of the albas have it to but most of the albas either never have it or have only the merest edging on the very newest foliage-Chloris is a-typical there looking very Centifolia. Albas have those really foliose sepales though....usually(I have most of the avaliable Albas). The hard part for me is all the experts keep changing what class certain roses are in-mudding my water even more-oh well, we can but try and it certainly is fun...

patricia