Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dvinemissm

Many mystery roses!

dvinemissm
18 years ago

Just moved into a new house in Feb. Lots of (poor neglected!) roses that I have no clue what they are. All are very pretty, though. If any wants to take a shot at helping me identify these roses, you can check them out at: http://photobucket.com/albums/y246/dvinemissm/

Feel free to ask questions about size fragrance, etc. I'd love to know what these are! Thanks!

Comments (27)

• rosyone
    18 years ago

Rose 1 looks like Peace, and Rose 10 could be Double Delight.

• dvinemissm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I thought that might be a Peace, but has it been around a long time? Most of these roses were planted in 1979 -1980. #10 could be a DD, too. Real strong scent on that one! Same with #9 - maybe Chrysler Imperial? Rose 4 & 5 might be the same kind, both a bright fire engine red. Rose #8 might be Cherry Parfait (?) Hardly any scent on that one, and more white than yellow in the center. Rose 7 didn't come out true to color, it is actually a very deep red, close to black on the ends in the sun. I'm really curious about #3. Any additional guesses welcomed and appreciated!

• rosyone
    18 years ago

Peace has been around for 60 years (longer than that in Europe) and Chrysler Imperial for more than 50 years. Double Delight was introduced sometime in the 70s and Cherry Parfait arrived on the scene only a couple of years ago.

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

There are two ways anyone can find the 'year of Introduction' for a rose.

(1) Buy the RAS 'Handbook For Selecting Roses' (for 3 - 5 US dollars). It's very handy little booklet, covering all classes of roses. It also tells you the 'average petal-count per bloom.'

(2) Go to the Rose Name-Search page at HelpMeFind dotcom.
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/roses.php
    (or use the Link below)
    Type the name of the rose into the search-box. When it finds that rose name, click the name. Presto! All the data like fragrance-level, petal-count, color-class, and year-of-introduction will appear.

I've given those suggestions because you're right, the mystery-roses must have been introduced prior to 1980-81. This eliminates LOTS of candidates from possibility, narrowing your search considerably. Go for it. : ) We denizens of the Name That Rose forum will help as much as we can. : )

Regards,
    JohnReb

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Name-Search at HelpMeFind dotcom

• patricianat
    18 years ago

I think we have identified Peace and Double Delight. Not Cherry Parfait --- that's too new.

My advice since there are so many roses that from a photograph can look alike, is to join a rose society or call and ask one of the consulting rosarians to look at your roses. That hot pink one could be so many; there were so many in a time frame that color and the red one as well, could be one of several. I would like to know that you got them identified; that is a lot of fun. Then you know what to do with them. Consulting rosarians like trying to identify HTs and these look like a bunch of "classic HTs".

• dvinemissm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cool, thanks for the suggestions, guys! I thought about going on helpmefind but figured it would take me forever! But with the dates of planting available, that will narrow it down (thanks JohnReb!)and we do have a "rose club" here, so I will be contacting them, especially since I have 10 more roses that are not in bloom that I'd like to have an id on. As soon as I get it figured out, I'll let you all know. Thanks again!

• Maddiegirl
    18 years ago

Rose 1 might be a Charlotte Brownell, but I think Peace is probably closer.

• juliaw
    18 years ago

Your #12 bears a very strong resemblance to one of my roses, tentatively identified as 'Bewitched' on this forum. Mine was planted in 1981, so if it's correctly identified then it is the 1967 hybrid tea, not the more recent floribunda. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bewitched at HelpMeFind

• dvinemissm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm still checking all the resources, but I think we've identified several! (Yipee!) Rose #1 and #3 are Peace, #9 is Chrysler Imperial, #10 is Double Delight, as is #8. Rose #11 may be a Double Delight as well, but the root stock is taking that one over and I haven't been able to save it. I'll check out the info on Bewitched to see if that's it for #12, and #13 I have a feeling is Westerland. #13's blooms started off in the orange-pink area but the subsequent ones are more pale pink, shading to a darker pink with a touch of orange. You guys are great! Just to irritate you all, I'm tempted to post a few more pics of more mystery roses. I have one that's a real beauty that I would love to know what it is. Thanks all! Keep the guesses coming!

• dvinemissm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, I've added another if any one is interested in looking. #14. Strong almost spicy scent, medium green leaves, minimal thorns. Starts out as a pinky apricot with bright yellow at the base of the petals. As it opens the yellow and pink fade and the pale apricot color is dominant. At full bloom, almost past it's prime, it fades to a creamy yellow white, pure white at the tipe of the petals, and a pale yellow at the base of the petals.

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

For your #14, my guess is Sunset Celebration - a rose the ARS says is in the "apricot-blend" color class.

Your written description of your rose's colors sounds just like the blooms on the two Sunset Celebrations I have in my yard's rose-rows. But in a different climate (and/or different soil-chemistry), Sunset Celebration can have a lot of pink in it.

You can read the data (and see many photos) at HelpMeFind dotcom's webpage for Sunset Celebration. Use the following URL, the Link at the end of this post.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=2454

Be sure to click on the "Photos" tab at the upper left of that webpage.

Regards,
    JohnReb

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset Celebration at HelpMeFind dotcom

• dvinemissm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I appreciate the guess, JohnReb, and it looks a lot like my rose, but I think it's not old enough to what I have. Helpmefind said that Sunset Celebration has been around only since 1994. I'll keep looking and maybe I can come up with what is is. You have put me on the right "trail" though! Thanks!

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

You're welcome, Divinemissm. : )

A thought that occurred to me:
    You've told us the rose's leaf-characteristics, comparative thorniness, etc. But you haven't meantioned "average petal-count." That can be a very important (meaning, very useful) ID-clue in a rose-ID quest.

Cut several (let's say, 6) nearly-spent blooms - before they start losing petals, of course. Count the total number of petals from all of the blooms, and divide that total by the number of blooms. This gives you the rose's "average petal-count per bloom."

Just for an example:
    Sunset Celebration's "official" average petal-count is 35-40. But keep in mind that a VERY-HEALTHY, MATURE rosebush may produce more petals-per-bloom than the number in the official ARS data for that rose. Again just for an example, my yard's two Sunset Celebration bushes have been in their spot for five years - and they're now quite large and healthy. They tend to give me an average of 45 petals(or thereabouts) per bloom - sometimes many more on some blooms. I mention this because your rosebushes have also been "in place" for quite a few years, and thus they are indeed fully-mature bushes. Therefore, I'd expect their petal-count to be "on the high end" for whatever variety of rose they actually are. That tends to be true ...unless the bush is stunted from neglect, disease, transplanting, winterkill, etc.

Please let us know rose #14's average petal-count per bloom when you compile it.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• LizzieA
    18 years ago

How about the 1930 HT Grand Prize for #14. See the attached thread, Grand Prize looks similar to your picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post with Grand Prize picture

• dvinemissm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

JohnReb, Funny you should mention the petal count! I thought about that last night, but didn't get a chance to do the count. I did today, though. Av. count is 26. And, idiot that I am, I didn't mention that this one is a floribunda or grandiflora (please forgive me, I actually have no clue what the difference is between the two, and keep forgetting to look it up.)

LizzieA, I saw that link yesterday and thought the same thing. Checked it out, but it was a no go. Thanks though!

I did a check on HMF (using the names on the fav apricot/peach thread) and the closest I could get to petal shape, color, etc. was "Medallion", but that is a HT.

Again, please forgive me, but doesn't a HT have only one bloom at that end of each cane, whereas the Flori/Grandi has a cluster of buds?

Thanks again for all your help guys. Our local rose club person has been on vacation (the only one willing to drive the hour to my place in the hills), but she should be back soon. Maybe then I can post pics of roses with names! You guys are great!

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

The "primary" defining characteristic of a Grandiflora rosebush is that it acts like a cross between a Floribunda and a Hybrid-Tea. Specifically,
    (1) it tends to have HT bush-height and bloom-form, but
    (2) it produces blooms both as singles AND in "low-numbered" clusters.

Here is a quote from the Classification Characteristics section in the 2005 ARS Handbook For Selecting Roses.
    "In 1954, the introduction of a rose bred from crossing the hybrid-tea Charlotte Armstrong witht the floribunda Floradora resulted in a carmine-rose & dawn-pink variety. It displayed not only the characteristics of a hybrid-tea but also the ability to bear clusters or trusses [of blooms] and grow to a commanding height of 6 to 8 feet or more. To accomodate this variety the class of Grandiflora was born. Queen Elizabeth has the distinction of being the very first member of this class."

The ARS description of Grandiflora rose-varieties will very frequently contain the phrase "Blooms occur singly and in small clusters."

Also, I've seen some very knowledgable Rosarians on GardenWeb say that bloom-size is a factor in the official classification of HT, Floribunda, and Grandiflora roses. HTs *tend* to have the largest blooms, Floribunda blooms tend to be a good bit smaller than the average HT's blooms, and Grandiflora bloom-size *tends* to be somewhere in between.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• dvinemissm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, JohnReb, you are a wealth of knowledge! I'm impressed! As I recall, you were one of the first ones to help me with my first rose issue. I am in your debt, my friend! Thanks to your knowledge sharing, I can now say that the rose is a Grandiflora. Thanks ever so for narrowing down the search for me.
    Michelle

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Again, you're welcome. : )

In my first two years of rose-growing (2000 & 2001), I bought a bunch of what turned out to be mis-labeled bodybagged bareroot roses. Thus I am QUITE familiar with how people who have a mystery-rose feel. The disappointment, the frustration, etc.

So nowadays, I try to share what I've learned about Rose-Identification during my 6-years-long searches for the identity of my own mystery roses. (Five of which still remain unidentified - talk about frustration!)

Regards,
    JohnReb

• secretgarden260
    18 years ago

#2 or #11 could possibly be Mr. Lincoln. Looks like the ones I have. Blooms tend to start off red-red then turn slightly to the cerise or purple red. Long stems. Strong scent. Blooms don't last long.

• dvinemissm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, I'm thinking #14 might very well be Tamora. The description and several of the photos on helpmefind look just like mine. Maybe......

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

My original guess of Sunset Celebration was knocked out when you added cluster-blooming and petal-count to your rose's description. I regret to have to tell you your report of an average-petal-count of 25 also knocks out Tamora as a candidate.

Tamora is in the English Shrub class of roses. As such, it has an enormous number of petals. Check the photos and just try to *guess* how many. ;-) I'd hate to have to count every one of the multitude of tiny petals which are usually seen at the center of an English rose's blooms.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• dvinemissm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ah well... it was worth a shot, huh? Again, I bow to your superior knowledge, JohnReb. The search continues!

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

(Blush)

Not "superior." Just been doing rose-ID searches longer than you have, that's all.

If my knowledge really was "superior" ...I'd already know the name of your rose. ;-) I don't. But I keep trying. :)

I went to your PhotoBucket webpage and looked at the newly-added photos of #14. Something about the way the bloom's inner petals look after it has opened up is making me think of Medallion.

Medallion's inner petals get a sort of "jumbled" lappearance afer they unfurl.

Also, Medallion's bloom-colors do what you described yours as doing ...at least in my yard they do.

Medallion was introduced in 1973 ...so it passes your age-test.

My (only) Medallion bush suffered severe winter-kill this year, dying almost to the graft-union ...so though it's coming back I'd have to say it is presently in poor condition. But I can tell you from directly observing it that it
    (1) has comparatively few thorns,
    (2) the leaves are medium-green,
    (3) the leaves are "low gloss" (but not "no-gloss"),
    (4) the leaves' texture is leathery.

As for Medallion being in the hybrid-tea Class ...back when mine was in much better health, it sometimes bloomed in "low-numbered" clusters.

But your petal-count of (only) 25 blooms keeps throwing me off from Medallion. Please check some more of your rose's blooms to see if they might have more than 25 petals. As of today, the only bloom on my Medallion has 37 petals.
    That bloom does show a good bit of yellow at the petals' base, even after fading.

My piddly-poor Medallion bush does have one bud on it, which is just about to open up. When it pops, I'll post its petal-count ...and if the Japanese Beetles don't destroy it first, a photo.

Maybe Medallion is another incorrect guess - but at this point it is the only rose I can think of that "mostly" matches up with your description of your #14-rose's characteristics.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• dvinemissm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maybe it's an "Almost Medallion"! My first petal count I used 6 blooms. Currently there are only two on the plant, and they are just opening. I guess I'll have to wait for more, and hope for a higher count? (wishful thinking!) After reading your description of your Medallion, JohnReb, except for the petal count, it's a fit. Ah well. And the search still goes on!

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Dvinemissm, the about-to-open bud I mentioned above has (or rather, had) 27 petals. I say "had" because the Japanese Beetles ruined it before I could get a photo for you.

That count of 27 isn't of major significance, because (again as mentoned above) my Medallion bush is in recovery from severe winter-kill. But I did say I'd let you know.

I'm quite interested to know what the average-petal-count result is from your mystery-rose's next set of blooms. Please be sure to use the ARS method - include some smaller blooms, not just the "best-quality" blooms on the bush. ;-)

Regards,
    JohnReb

• ginni77
    18 years ago

Dvinemissm...there's no way #14 is Tamora...the color is very similar, but Tamora has a lot more petals and never has that high of a center. I've had a couple Tam blooms that look like they almost have an HT form, but they are still short and squatty looking compared to the high center of a real HT. Yours looks pretty high. Tamora also has a very strong fragrance of licorice or anise.

I thought #3 looked just like my buds of Love & Peace or Party Time. I'm not sure whether either of those roses are old enough to fit your bill or not.

I'm not sure of any of the others, and I think you're right on about Double Delight.

Good luck,
    Ginni

• dvinemissm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I got an average petal count from 5 more blooms - 28. So, not Medallion. Bummer. Actually, I'm kind sad that I haven't been able to find out what this lovely rose was. I say "was", because the gophers got it. Lovely blooming roses one day, plant wilted and dead the next. I pulled on it and it came right out of the ground - no roots. I knew the gophers were after this one, but I thought I had managed to stop them. Ah well! Of course, now this mean I can get a Medallion, for real! So, I am sad for the loss of the rose, but happy that I can replace it with something so similar, except for petal count. Thanks to all for your help on this one.

JohnReb, you taught me a lot! Special thanks to you.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler