Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sesakaso

Pink and red roses on same plant?

sesakaso
10 years ago

These roses are at my grandpa's house. He knows little about them, only that my grandma planted and cared for them. She died in 2004. It appears to be one bush, but is likely two since it blooms with both pink and red flowers. As far as I know they only bloom once per season, but the bloom lasts a long time. Any ideas on what kind this/these are? And if it is one plant or two?

Comments (8)

• sesakaso
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another picture of the plant. Sorry, I am not able to post multiple pictures at a time

• sesakaso
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red bloom

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

It is one plant. The pink variety was grafted onto a variety named Dr. Huey, which is the red rose. Dr. Huey is a once-blooming red climber. Dr. Huey is now "suckering", or starting to grow from below the graft union on the rootstock. If you want to save the pink part, you have to dig down and find the source Dr.Huey stems, and scrape them off. Just cutting off the red stems won't work. Otherwise, eventually the pink portion will weaken, and your plant will be all Dr. Huey.

• sesakaso
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a shame I can't keep them both! I like the pink an red blooms. It adds variety. I was thinking about taking a cutting of this and starting a new plant to put on the other side of the porch. If I take the cutting from the pink portion, will I get pink roses? Or will it do the same thing as this one is and eventually turn red?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

If you take a cutting of the pink rose, you will get only the pink rose. The pink rose will grow on its own roots, and have no rootstock involvement or impact.

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

I agree with the others. I have the same thing with one of my rose bushes. Some blooms are pink but now most are red. Mine looks identical to your photos. I just let it go and get both pink and red. I've had other colors on it when I first bought it but now its just pink and red.

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

here is my pink on red rose bush photo. They are literally growing along the same branch. Not separate parts of the plant. This rose bush was all yellow when I bought it. I think it bloomed yellow for 2 years. The 3rd year it came back all red. I was shocked to see that there were no more yellow at all on this bush. Now I see several pink blooms pop up along the same branches as the red ones.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, all 'Dr Huey' from the start (both plants). I have seen color variations on it here as well, although I am not sure I have ever seen it get quite that pale.

People ask about this one all the time because it is used as a rootstock for other roses by commercial producer(s). These other roses apparently very often die, leaving the 'Dr Huey' to live on without them, as there are a lot of 'Dr Huey' around. I think in many instances the graft union was left up in the air, leaving the scion vulnerable to a sharp winter - and unable to come back after freezing off, unlike the 'Dr Huey' stock which has an at least partly buried stem (and roots) to grow back from.

As may be visible in one of your pictures it tends to be infested with rose mosaic virus - perhaps this is what causes the flower color breaks.

This post was edited by bboy on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 1:06

Sponsored
Creative Interior Designs by Lynda LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Alexandria's Premier Interior Designer | 4x Best of Houzz Winner!