Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red climbing roses

Posted by pamela_m AL (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 12:38

Hi all! My husband and I purchased our first home in November, and within the last month or so, a large tangled bush on a side fence in our back yard has burst into blooms. There's a trellis behind it; I'm assuming this is a climber, although it appears to have overgrown the trellis and is now tangled and falling over into the yard. I'm also pretty sure there are actually two varieties of rose in this tangle. I think that one may be a Dortmund (first picture) but I have no clue what the second is. I'm also unsure of what to do with them--if they are climbers, as I imagine, what should they be climbing on? They're very pretty roses and I don't want to kill them, but I have no experience with roses and I'm not sure what the last house owners had planned for these flowers.

First rose:

5-17-10 018

Second rose:

5-17-10 020

And this is what the whole mess looks like:

5-17-10 017

And from the side:

5-17-10 021

I can take more pictures if necessary--just let me know what to photograph. And thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red climbing roses

I won't be able to be of much help - however, if you can happen to add if they have a scent and info on color and shape of the leaves and thorns (if there are many) ...and if the new growth is green or red it can help narrow things down :) (It's how they helped me in the past)

o

Your single-petaled rose isn't Dortmund. I grow Dortmund and it has a white center. To me it looks a lot like Altissimo. See the link below.

Let me think about the second one. Who knows, maybe it's a seedling of the first!

Here is a link that might be useful: Altissimo on Helpmefind

o
RE: second rose

Is the second rose a "bluer" red than the single-petaled one? Maybe it's Blaze or Improved Blaze.

o

Hello Pamela_m And All others.
Pamela I believe the first rose is the Altissimo Climbing rose. And the Second is My favorite rose climber so far the "Blaze Climbing rose"... Glad to help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here