Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
found lovely little lost pink rose

Posted by carversdaughter z7 NC (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 07 at 13:16

When my daughter cleared the tons of leaf and tree debris from the back yard of her new home, we found this spindly little pink rose growing at the base of a tree. This was in the summer of 2006 and it looked like it had just started growing.

When she decided not to keep the house in Oct 2006, we transplanted it to my back yard since we knew it would not thrive under that row of trees.

Poor thing has a *Y* or *L* shaped growth, as you will see in the pictures.

The leaves are moderately shiny and thicker than the leaves on most of my other rose.

The cane is absolutely rigid and grow straight.

The rose bloom singlely. The buds begin as a very dark pink but the petals go to a light pink as the rose opens.

The smell is sweet and very strong.

The thorns are hooked downward and very strong.

I don't know about the petal count since it is just now opening.

It may be resistant to black spot as some of my other roses have black spot and this one doesn't.

There is detail of the leaves in the photo album.

I really hope someone can help me identify this lovely little lost rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: unknown pink rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: found lovely little lost pink rose

I'd like to see a photo of the opened bloom, and some more detail on the fragrance- is it spicy, or does is have a lemony smell, that sort of nuance. Also - any idea when the previoius owners of the house owned it? I knew the previous owners of my house had owned it from 1988-1994 and it helped me identify a couple roses they left.

A

o

It hasn't opened fully yet - but soon as it does I will put a pic in the album and let you know it is there.

The fragrance is really strong and the only way I can describe it is that it smells like the classic sweet smell that screams ROSE. It is the smell you get most rose bouquets you find in department or grocery stores [if you can find roses with scent there anymore]. Think of it this way - I didn't even know roses had different scents till I started growing them 3 years ago and it is the only scent I knew of back themn.

The house was build 1885 and the same family lived in it till 2000 when it became a rental. I am not even sure it was deliberately planted. We found it under a huge pile of leaves. It wasn't more than a foot tall at the time and had one light pink bloom on it. It was literally leaning against a tree, that is how close it was growing to the tree.

There was one other rose bush there - wish I had taken pictures. It was absolutely HUGE - had been left to ramble as it pleased and was EVERYWHERE. Without exageration it had dozens of canes and was every bit of 50 feet around at the widest point. Had small white blooms. I took a cutting of it which right now is about 18 inches tall and has one bud on it.

o

The rose has now opened fully and there is a pic in the album - I am thinking maybe it is a burbon of some kind, but then again I am a rose novice

o

It kind of reminds me of a Romantica rose, but I can't come up with an ID.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here