Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kylara111

Unknown climbing rose?

kylara111
16 years ago

I'm new at planting roses and planted this 2 years ago on a trellis in an attempt to hide wires on the side of my house. Not much happened to it in that time other than a single bloom last year. I had just had a baby and didn't have time to care for it and thought it had died. I had planned to take it out but this spring before I had a chance I was pleasantly surprised that it came back and has lots of foliage and blooms! I don't remember what kind of rose it is. Thank you!

Comments (12)

• kylara111
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here it is on a trellis ...

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Yellow climbers, might be Golden Showers, Climbing (Cl.) Goldmarie, Royal Gold, maybe Scent from Above.

A little more info, fragrance, more photos, thorniness.

• kylara111
    Original Author
    16 years ago

diane_nj, Thank you for your help! I looked at your suggestions and didn't think it was any of those.

I wonder if it may be a rose called Keith's Delight.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Could be, if you ordered by mail. If you bought it locally, then I don't think so, might depend on where you live. KD is a rugosa hybrid, and I don't see those characteristics on the leaves, but would need a closer look. Photos of KD at helpmefind.com also show a pink tinge to the edges.

• petaloid
    16 years ago

It's got to be a climbing hybrid tea rose. There are too many yellow climbers for me to guess which one, but it's nothing I have grown.

Do you recall where you purchased it? Maybe they would know what varieties they sold that year.

It's very pretty and looks happy. Imagine how it will look when you give it some TLC. Enjoy your mystery rose!

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Are even the leaves prickly?

This is Keith's Delight.
    Leslie

• kylara111
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will have to post another picture but the rose has continued to bloom and now looks a lot more like that last picture. Its a creamy yellow and has pink edges. Mine has even more pink than that picture. I think I got it at Home Depot of all places! ;-)

I finally figured out how to use the helpmefind and that came up when I searched climbers. I couldn't find anything else that looked like it.

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Here's a spent bloom on Keith's Delight with more pink in it as it aged. I haven't really been paying attention to the colors. This rose is about to put out a bunch of blooms now. Mine is only 10 months old. I think rose color can vary with temps somewhat, at least mine do here.

This rose grows with 7 leafs and the leaves are pretty serrated and each of the leaves have small thorns also. You can see from this pic. If the leaves on your rose aren't like this, you can rule this one out, sorry.

• kylara111
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, here are more pictures ... (Sorry for the picture quality. I hate my camera!)

Based on that description of the leaves though, it may be something else. Here are my leaves ...

Thank you for all the help, but I guess I still have a mystery on my hands!

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Actually your 2nd photo is pretty good and your one of the leaves is good also to try to continue to ID this rose. This is very pretty, I can see why you're trying to find out what it is. How large across is the bloom also? Keith's Delight is 3". As far as I know 7 leaflets is correct for it also, yours looked like 5. Is that 3 and 5 or a consistant set of 5 leaflets for your rose?
    Leslie

• kylara111
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The bloom is closer to 4" across. The leaves are 3 and 5.

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

That pretty much lets it out as a rugosa then, they have leaflets in 5 to 9. If that were a larger bloom I might think of a climbing Peace rose. There are a few pics similar to that on HMF. If I think of anything else I'll come back. Good luck.