Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bought a house, inherited a mystery rose (with pics)

Posted by freber z6 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 07 at 13:45

If at first you don't succeed... ;-)

Hello everyone - My new house has what appears to be a well established old hybrid tea. The last owners let everything go to pot in the yard but somehow this girl survived. She is about five feet tall with small pink blooms that open to about three inches across maximum. My husband tried his hand at pruning her a bit in late winter/spring and I've tried to keep her happy by spraying (her leaves keep turning yellow and falling off in places) and flicking aphids...the latest was some fat green caterpillars who ate right through a couple of buds.

Any idea what kind of rose she is? If anyone has any tips on how to care for her, please let me know. I've never had a rose bush before but am quickly getting enamored! I now have a Charles Aznavour for the side yard and a Darlow's Enigma ordered...

Thanks for your help!
Rebecca

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bought a house, inherited a mystery rose (with pics)

I don't have a clue...but it is gorgeous!~Charm

o

sooo pretty!

o

That's a real winner; excellent photos too.

o

My guess is Gene Boerner, one of the finest of all floribundas, and tough enough to survive neglect.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF GB

o

How fragrant is it? The pictures are wonderful!

o
Queen Elizabeth?

Could it be 'Queen Elizabeth'? That was one of the more popular roses at one time, and it's tough enough to survive quite a bit of neglect!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here