Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen64_gw

Found fragrant purple mountain rose , NY

karen64
16 years ago

Hi, I posted about this rose last year but it was my first and only bloom last year and we had no luck. I'm hoping for better luck this year with some leads as to this roses ID. We stayed in Cooperstown, New York mountains 2 years ago in a cottage and I saw a rose bush growing along the back of the house. Spoke to the owner about it and he said it was a lovely purple rose that had been growing at another location, the family farm, and they brought it back from there to enjoy at their house. He said they planted it too close to the house and it was in shade. I took a small piece from the side with some tiny roots and got it to stay alive for me, my piece was 6 inches. Last year, after I had it one year, it put out one bloom, just once. But it was strong and growing. Come July, it was outgrowing its pot last year and the leaves started to curl although it was not in great conditions growing in that crowded pot that dried out quickly. Now it is two years old and in the ground. It has many buds and I just cut the first one to count the petals. It has approximately 27 petals and the flower itself is small. It is very fragrant and its color is Fuschia or megenta which is a cross between a strong pink leaning towards a purple hugh but maybe a softer raspberry color. The bush at 2 years old now stands two and a half feet tall but slightly wider. Last year it was a once bloomer at one year old but we'll see now that it is in the ground. Any leads or suggestions? I'm always impressed with all of your knowledge here! karen

Here is a link that might be useful: http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/foxbuild?backState=prevPage%3D/ap/myAlbums.do%26state%3DalbumId%253D32660.2543.1177696944741.1

Comments (3)

• karen64
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention....it is not loaded down with thorns. One the older wood they are short/small and far between. Also, the rose had been growing at the original farm for as long as he could remember.

• emmiegray1
    16 years ago

So the canes are nearly thornless? Are they bendable? And do you think it is throwing out longish canes, or staying more of a shrub shape? How big was the plant at the cabin?

If you can, post a pic of the stipules - the little wings where the stems attach to the main canes. Also, would be helpful to describe the foliage - shape and color and texture.

That bud - reminds me of the boursault rose 'Amadis' (which I grow). It's very intriguing and pretty!

Andrea

• karen64
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you! It does look like the Amadis. I am going to research the boursault more but wanted to answer those questions. I posted more pictures to the above link. Some canes are thornless and others have thorns. From the ground the canes come straight up and are not flexible at first but some canes are longer and those that are longer become arching and more flexible. The leaves are medium green and not rough, they are smooth. Foliage is not shiny, it is matte. At the cottage the owner indicated that his son-in-law had mistakenly mowed over the rose bush so his was short and, well, looked mowed over. So yes, it is throwing out longer canes and those are bending after a certain point. I looked at some pictures of the Amadis and it looks quite similar, my center is more yellow than the pictures but this could just be from those pictures I have viewed thus far, need to spend more time looking at the pics. And I have it in a great location right now to hold the color, although that will change in a few years I'm sure. There are pine trees behind it several feet and on both sides, several yards away. Provides it with great protection and the sun is not beating down on it all day so the color seems to stay great so far. But the pines will grow obviously. Is your Amadis large? Once bloomer? Its my first rose to bloom, the rest of my roses are still buds not opened yet. Thank you for this help! karen

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH