Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisnj_gw

Etoile de Hollande or ?

chrisnj
16 years ago

We purchased this as an off-patent container rose in 1999 at a Lowe's. Since then, when visiting any location with roses, I've searched in vain for another Etoile.

Photographs in the OGR section show E de H blooms with very different color. As our rose is close to dying from weather and wind, we'd like to know if ours was as advertised.

The photograph shows the rose in 2001. This rose has been grown in a 16-inch container, soil changed every two years, and fed often. It was always over-wintered in an unheated garage with other containered roses after going dormant.

The blooms were extremely fragrant with a sweet, heavy scent, in a brilliant red that never blued. In high heat petals would occasionally bronze before the bloom would blow. The color intensity of this rose was equal to Prismacolor Poppy Red or Pantone 485C -- hard to get right on film. (Its color never matched the ID tag, but tags fade.) It bloomed with flowers on stems, and in clusters, each about 4 inches across. It bloomed from June-September, a reliable rebloomer. Early foliage is glossy, turning semi-glossy. Disease free, but various insects loved the canes, working in even when sealed. It had a height of 4 feet, but in a container, its height may be meaningless. I'd often tried rooting and grafting cuttings without success.

So what do you think it is? If it is a Etoile de Hollande, I suppose it will be Vintage Gardens for us, replacements will be planted in a cleared bed. If another variety, perhaps I'll find a clone. Any help would be appreciated.

Image link: