Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkiered

Have two roses that need Iding, please

pinkiered
17 years ago

#1 is growing in my garden. It was given to me as unknown white climbing rose. It bloomed red. Its getting tall so I do think its a climber.And the scent if stronger than that of my Crysler Imperial.Just wonderful!

#2 is growing wild across the lane from where I live. Once it bloomed I was about to figure out its a Old Garden classof the "Species" sub class. I would like to have a name for it now. I plan on gathering hips to start my own plants with. And the hips are plentiful! Hundreds of them!And it smells faintly of tea.

{{gwi:1220823}}

{{gwi:1220825}}

Its about 10 foot tall and has rambled to about 60 foot wide.Now I dont know if this is one plant or many. They are growing together. So I cant tell where one ends and the other starts or if they are all one huge plant.

{{gwi:1220827}}

{{gwi:1220829}}

{{gwi:1220830}}

Comments (11)

• joan_m
    17 years ago

Pics of the stems, leaves, and thorns of both would help. If I had to make a wild guess (based on pictures I've seen), I'd say the white might be R. bracteata (that's probably not spelled right).

• garden2garden
    17 years ago

Pinkiered, check out some pictures of Don Juan and see if they look like the red one you've got- and then for the white one, try comparing pics of rosa laevigata, the Cherokee Rose. You can usually find good pictures in a google image search or at helpmefind.com (just in case you don't know)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

I'm not an expert on species roses, but I think the white one is Rosa multiflora. It can get to be a bit of a problem in some areas. But it's a great rootstock for grafted roses up here in the north.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Actually, it does look more like Cherokee Rose - I think Garden2garden might have it there.

• pinkiered
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK I got a Don Juan! YAY! I wanted one! Thank you for the help!

Now as for the other. You guys are getting closer, I think. But Im not sure those are it tho. Heres why...I read up R. bracteata,Rosa multiflora, and rosa laevigata.

I read about Cherokee Rose and it states that they dont produce alot of seed. This plant is COVERED in hips and inside are 15-20 seeds. And that it is heavily scented.
    This one is not. It has a very slight scent. And the leaves are too large.

As for R. bracteata-
    "Although each flower of R. bracteata contain hundreds of stamens, the pollen is only slightly potent. This combined with the fact that the Macartney rose doesnÂt accept foreign pollen readily explain the absence of hips found on the plants. R. bracteata is a diploid with 2 sets of 7 chromosomes (2n=14) or a total of 14 chromosomes."
    http://www.olyrose.org/Rosebracteata.htm

And Rosa multiflora blooms cluster. These do not. The blooms themselfs are about 3 inches across.

This rose is very invasive. Its in all in the ditches along the roads here. And it loves! water because we get standing water here and theres always a good 6 inch to a foot of water in the ditches.

I just went and cut a piece off so I could get better pics.This in an outer most piece. I wasnt brave enough to stick my arm in the thicket! The thorns in these pics dont do it any justice at all! The main stems are just crowded with massive thorns.

Heres the leaves
    {{gwi:1220832}}
    {{gwi:1220834}}

The thorns
    {{gwi:1220835}}
    {{gwi:1220836}}

the buds...they form wrinkled.Almost like they are puckering up.
    {{gwi:1220837}}
    {{gwi:1220838}}

The flowers closed every night. I dont know if they open come morning. But the petals on this one came off in my fingers when I took them away from this pic.
    {{gwi:1220839}}

The center
    {{gwi:1220840}}

Now here you can see the size of the buds to the leaves. Large buds compared to the leaves.
    {{gwi:1220841}}

Hope this helps. I went in search after reading the suggestions but found myself up in arms again! I would love to grow this in my own yard but Im worried being as Im seeing them growing wild everywhere.

• joan_m
    17 years ago

I've seen multiflora, and that's not multiflora foliage. I looked up laevigata and bracteata on HMF. The drawing shows laevigata as having three leflets and the leaves being pointed. Bracteatea is shown as having multiple rounded leaflets. Since I can't spell, here's the link. I'm basing this ID on pictures, so you'd still be better off to find someone who has actually seen R. bracteata.

Here is a link that might be useful: R. bracteata

• joan_m
    17 years ago

Some roses (different clones) of the same species can be more or less fertile. Also, location can make a difference in whether or not a rose sets hips.

• garden2garden
    17 years ago

You're right, now that I take a closer look at the leaves, it is not laevigata. It looks like it from a distance but close up the laevigata leaves are very pointed. Not only are the leaves different but the growth habit. The bracteata looks like a bush where the laevigata always reminds me of a weeping willow.

I don't have firsthand knowledge of the bracteata, I guess I always just assumed the flowers were smaller, but judging from the pictures of bracteata at helpmefind your white rose does look a lot like it.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

I agree with that the white rose is R. bracteata. Helpmefind lists R. bracteata as having a strong fragrance, but it lists Mermaid as having a strong fragrance too, and I would only describe Mermaid's fragrance as moderate or mild.

Below are links to a couple of articles that describes some of the differences between the Cherokee and McCartney roses.

roses in a white garden

What Old Rose is This?

photos of R. bracteata at helpmefind.com

• pinkiered
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I agree that it seems to be the R. bracteata in everyway but the scent. I just dont know. But I guess if anyone ask I can tell them its cousin to it! HA!

Thanks everyone!

• User
    17 years ago

That is R. bracteata, without a doubt. The fragrance is very much like the smell of Acetone, not at all like other roses.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville