Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lelamsk

Baffling but Beautiful Rose

lelamsk
9 years ago

I recieved this old rose (old as in it's age not in it's species), in a pot from a friend who was moving into a condo. I knew absolutely nothing about it and it was not blooming at the time.
I planted it close to my drive and it has totally gone crazy. It has 2 to 3 feet long canes that are old. At that point the five canes have grown 3 foot long branches on each of them. It got so bad this year that I had to do some major pruning to get it from falling into the drive way.
It is extremely prolific. It must love our Novato,CA weather and also the good eco compost it was grown in.
I had no idea what rose this was but it has gorgeous full tea type blooms.. On several of the canes there are medium yellow 4 inch blooms. The buds are orange tinged and there is some pinkish orange color to some of the yellow petals. On another cane there are several branches 3 feet long with large 3 inch tinged orange blossoms that open to be a yellowish orange as they age.

The rose bush now is at least 8 ft tall. There is little growth on the 3 foot canes except have gotten another can that is about 3 ft long that has not opened yet, so not sure what to expect from it.
There is a new can growing under the graft which I am waiting just to see what it is.. knowing that this one could be a sucker.
I really don't think any of the other branches are suckers.
When I did some research, I found out a few things. 1) this could be a rose called The Magician or 2) I red that some older roses will grow branches with slightly different colors in the flowers.
Since the blooms are very similar except for the fact that the color is different I have ruled out that either is a sucker. As they age the blossoms almost remind me of a Peace rose.
I am sending several pictures. If anyone has any thoughts about this great rose I would love to have your ideas. I pruned it yesterday and took cuttings that I will try to root.. I am interested in finding out if the ones that are yellow may be orange or the other way around.
I am also interested in what that new cane will turn out to be.
Amazing what wonder the world brings to us everyday