Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify red climber, semi double

Posted by mcbrainerd New York City 6-7 (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 17:00

Blooming now. Thin stemmed climber, dark red buds about 1", blossom 2.5" scarlet w yellow stamens. 15-20 petals, opens flat and cupped. Medium fragrance, not too sweet. Perhaps Musk/China type. Description similar to 'Blaze' but not thick stemmed. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify red climber, semi double

• Posted by vettin z6b Northern VA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 30, 14 at 18:48

Could it be Dr. Huey?

o

Good call. I think you're right. It fits the site's history. A nice addition to my collection of root stock roses. The picture in Botanica's Roses is a match. I'm pleased with it. The color stands out in its location, and the scent is not "slight", it's clean and spicy. I was looking at Grüss an Teplitz as a possibility from the description, but the picture didn't match. Thanks.

o

• Posted by vettin z6b Northern VA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 31, 14 at 6:09

There are others much more experienced so hopefully they can confirm. I have two in my yard that came with the house. It is not everyone favorite , but has always put on a good show for me

o

This is probably a Dr. Huey.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 14:48

Looks like the right foliage. Often prone to mosaic and spots in my area, as though producers have been grafting on virused material.

Apparently the scions freeze off during hard winters to leave the 'Dr. Huey' behind. Or there is a recurring delayed incompatibility issue - old, woody bud heads with few or any live canes from the scion surrounded by multiple flowering sized 'Dr. Huey' stems is a familiar sight.

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 14:50

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 22, 14 at 18:40

That is a lovely bloom and photo of the good Doctor!

o
Identified, 'Dr. Huey'

This is an old post, don't know why it is getting activity now. Anyway, I learned something. I'm seeing 'Dr. Huey' many places, and I kinda like it. Thanks to all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here