Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the most bodacious pink rose ever!

Posted by msbumble z6 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 17:31

Can you help me ID (or even just categorize) this rose? It is close to 6 ft tall, blooms prolifically in spite of neglect, and has been on the property for at least 25 years. The blooms do not seem to be highly fragrant. It has been entirely pest and disease-free the whole time. Follow link to photos of blooms, base, and overall shape.
Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name me

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the most bodacious pink rose ever!

Queen Elizabeth?

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen E on Helpmefind

o

Re Queen Elizabeth - I'm pretty sure this isn't it. QE is thornless for one thing, it's buds are pointed which these are not, and the flower is different in color and shape. Thanks for the suggestion though.

o

QE is not thornless, but I agree that there's no way it could be QE. My best classic pinks after QE are Tiffany and Bewitched. It's not Tiffany, but there is a possibility that it could be Bewitched. Take a look at the "Photos" tab here:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.676&tab=36

Bewitched came out in 1967, so it easily fits your age requirement.

o

Bewitched is very close, but I don't think that's it. My rose blossoms have more petals & look different before opening. The lower stems have a lot more thorns as well. What type of rose is Bewitched?
Thanks,
MsB

o

Well, it was just a guess. Looking again at your pics, if that fence is at least 3 feet tall (or more?), I think what you have is a Climber of some sort. Bewitched is a Hybrid Tea (your blooms definitely have the form of a hybrid tea). It can get to 6-8 feet in a good growing season, but yours looks much taller than that.

There are many Climbers that have hybrid tea form, and many hybrid teas have a Climber "sport" version.

o

There is a rose show at the Moorestown Mall in Moorestown, NJ tomorrow (May 26) opening at 1 PM. If you bring a bloom and some of the foliage, someone there may be able to help identify. There are a lot of pink hybrid teas, and it can be difficult to match via photo due to variations in color and petal count due to weather.

o

I always thought Hybrid Teas tended to be less robust and very disease-prone. Am I wrong about that?
Thanks for mentioning the rose show; though I won't make it to this one it's a resource I hadn't though of.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 29, 12 at 19:19

It depends more on the individual variety than the class. Some HTs are very vigorous growers, fairly disease resistant and winter hardy. And then then there are some shrubs and even OGRs that are wimpy growers and disease magnets. It all depends on the rose and the spot it's planted in.

o

At first I wondered about Aloha, but it is described as a fragrant rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloha at Helpmefind

o

I wonder if it could be the climber Viking Queen?

o

Aloha ages to a paler pink on the outside petals as the bloom ages. Otherwise it looks like Aloha to me as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here