Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Unknown Roses (5) with link

aliska12000
15 years ago

I've asked about a couple of these before but no one was sure. They are all once bloomers.

I put them on an html page because of load time for 5 pics.

The first one I have rooted and is growing happily in the back yard, suckers, have a lot more photos of foliage, but didn't want to try to another. Someone thinks it is some type of china because of the reddishness of the suckers it put out. Also it was suggested it might be some kind of moss rose, don't think it is quite big enough to be a climber but rambler. That one I think I may have saved because the parent plant looks like it is gone now.

The second white one I got two rooted over the winter. It is so much like Madame Plantier or whatever that one is at HMF except the buds do not have pink tips before they open. One photo shows a definite green eye, but not all have that. Pics both at Jackson Perkins and HMF for Madame show pink buds that open to white. That one is almost a climber but not quite, could possibly be trained and grow 6'.

The third one I got two rooted, planted out last year, haven't bloomed yet, didn't site them as well as I'd like. The bush I got the cuttings from was so large the blossoms were laying on the ground, but it has been cut back and suffering severely from neglect now.

The fourth one is so odd, one person thought it was Cardinal Richelieu, but I don't know. Finally got one to root over the winter. The bush is enormous I got the cutting(s) from, either a very large rambler or 6-7' climber. It could be rootstock perhaps.

The fifth one I have not attempted to propagate. Before they pruned it last year, it was a shrub as huge and with the form of a lilac bush, don't know whether to bother trying to propagate it or not, have no room for many more. There are others I failed with that I'd rather have another shot at than this one although it is pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Five Unknown Roses

Comments (3)