Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa252_gw

wild roses

lisa252
9 years ago

Hi. I live in middle ga anda few weeks ago I went to Andersonville, Ga, which is south of me, and noticed that there are the most beautiful wild roses growing by the side of the road everywhere. I regret that I did not take a picture but I did pull up one small plant and planted it but I don't think it is going to make it. I am obsessed with these roses! they were very difficult to pull up without tools and after failing on the way down, I made my family endure another attempt while I tried to dig some out with an ice scraper-thorns made it impossible to just pull up. Does anyone know anything about these roses? I plan on making another trip-with tools-and get a better rooted plant and will take pictures to post. They were the most lucious deep pink.

Comments (5)

• vogue_x
    9 years ago

It could be one of many roses that often naturalize along side country roads of the south. Does it have a single blossom? It could be Rosa Canina, or Multiflora. I often find 'Seven Sisters' growing wild here in Alabama.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Could it have been a Pasture Rose AKA Carolina Rose (Rosa carolina)? See photo at link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildflower Center image of Rosa carolina

• lelamsk
    9 years ago

Number 1, be careful, don't kill yourself to dig up a rose.. not that I haven't done the same thing. You can also take some cuttings if you can't get the whole rose up. I would put the ones you got in a good rose potting soil with some compost. Pot it first rather then try to plant it, since it will need to be carefully watched until you know if you are getting any new growth. If the roots were damaged they will need time to heal. Better to keep them out of full sun until you know how they are doing. Send us some pictures. We all may want some cuttings

• lelamsk
    9 years ago

Number 1, be careful, don't kill yourself to dig up a rose.. not that I haven't done the same thing. You can also take some cuttings if you can't get the whole rose up. I would put the ones you got in a good rose potting soil with some compost. Pot it first rather then try to plant it, since it will need to be carefully watched until you know if you are getting any new growth. If the roots were damaged they will need time to heal. Better to keep them out of full sun until you know how they are doing. Send us some pictures. We all may want some cuttings

• lisa252
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the posts Nd info. It doesn't look like the Carolina rose. If memory serves it had more of a traditional rose shape and the Color was more pink red . Lelamsk, I have not had good luck with cuttings nd that is why I want to dig up the whole plants w roots. My mother recently died and I tried to root cuttings of her stunning roses and they were dismal failures. I also tried a cutting of these roses that I'm after with same results. However if I can successfully transplant one of them I would be most happy to share cutting with to any who wanted some. I am hoping to get back down there this week Nd I will take lots of pictures and hopefully bring back a starter plant. Any suggestions for success if I do? Should I start it in a container with compost and rose fertilizer? It is is obviously a full sun plant but should i.put it in shade to start with? Thank ya'll for sharing your expertise. I am a,novice Gardner but seem to be having quite a green thumb since I started. Except for cuttings:)